Monday, January 28, 2008

Australia Day weekend 2008

Saturday I drove to Rockhampton to be with my girls. They were quite over their... distraught evening of the other night. Odd how I frown and appear nervous as my youngest daughter kisses me.

Makes me wonder what faces I was pulling in Juvenile Court. We went to Sizzlers and gorged ourselves stupid.
Although I understand and completely accept it is time for my girls to move on - I absolutely loved having a few moments with them again.


The Fitzroy River is due to flood this week and we walked the banks to examine the differences.


The father of my three younger children bought Anna this little Barina... 2001? model for $7000.. and my little princess... horrified him with her driving.. and now she isn't allowed to drive it. Now of course .. sperm donor shouts at her... "You drive like your mother!" (OOPS)
....and I forgot - many years ago he and I had arguments about how you drive a manual car and I HATED him driving my cars...I had to sell a dear little car I liked once to buy the second property... and I remember using that argument on myself... oh.. sperm donor treats the gears horribly on the dear car... at least it will be better treated elsewhere.
She was awfully upset and told him she wanted to return to me or anywhere. He rightfully told her... "No way Anna.. you owe me $7000 and you stay till its paid back." And she cried till I didn't think she could cry anymore. And I felt her pain. Every sob, snort and tear.
Reality checked in with her school report when she went to enroll in the more prestigious schools in Rockhampton and they simply said... no thanks. Rockhampton Highs principal apparently gave her hell and told her she was obviously stupid so should attend tafe and not bother them. Her indignation and fury...that I completely understand... but I dont think she understands - yet that was part of my over reaction to her complete mess up of her first senior year at high school. She feels the school is beneath her, and doesnt understand yet that it was her actions that landed her there.
I miss her like crazy - but there is no way I am arguing with her father who has done the right thing. She has to do the right thing alone this time.




We walked the swelling banks of the Fitzroy River. If you click on the picture and zoom in you can see the many .. things floating down it.





We teased each other on the banks of the river every time we heard a ripple about crocodiles. Six years now and I have never seen one in the wild. And trust me - I am always looking.




Rockhampton is always a little hotter or colder than anywhere else. But - oh - it was so muggy. And the mozzies where so large!








We watched this family drive their boat up the river and giggled how MOTH would do the same stupid thing. You have no idea what a flooded river has in it... but you would still drive your beloved boat up it to see.
No wonder I am always a little crazy.

The goanna - or the lace monitor. I love his/her fat belly. I dont know how to sex a lizard. Odd that.. I can tell the sex of many other animals.



At the zoo they had moved some of the animals. Last time Rockhampton had floods both the zoo and the croc farm accidently lost their crocs. I dont think crap like that happens any where else in the world. The inevitable.. that they cant think about. I often ponder if only stupid people are allowed jobs in the north.
The salt water crocs were moved ... the freshwater's were still there on Saturday. The sign in the casuary pen said they were moved due to the floods.. but I noticed they were actually in a pen lower - near the koalas. I just cant imagine relocating a casuary would be an easy job.

Mind you I probably only visit this zoo to hurt myself. I abhor the treatment of the chimpanzees there. The two males are so bored and so able to be annoyed by revolting humans. Why did they get two brothers? Why did they never get them a female? Why do they let idiots upset them with their antagonism?
But I like to watch them and look at their hands and then mine. I like to sit there and wonder what they must wish for. And they amaze me because they too sit and stare at me. Always, a member of my family makes me move along.


This isnt a particularly good shot of an emu. But I like emu's.
And of course the dingo - and that of course just reminds me of one of my own dogs.



Rocky loves the new linen I bought.
William starts High School tomorrow; the last of my babies.
Life is just.. harder than it should be.









1 comment:

Cazzie!!! said...

Awesome images, I cant believe Sizzlers is still around, we used to go there alot when I was at Uni but the chain of restaurants closed here in Victoria :(