Wednesday, January 30, 2008

First day at school

My son started High School this week. He is so tiny - and it feels like it was just a blink ago he was so little.

I took his first day off work so that I could support him. A little after 7 am his best friend rang and asked Will if he wanted to go with him. And I couldn't say no - who would you rather be with on your first day of school your best mate or your mother? And William's best mate is a wonderful kid and his mother is a lovely woman.

I felt pretty useless and silly though. Sitting there. Showered and dressed. Useless.

I took some forms to work and.. they indicated I was meant to be enjoying my day off work - so I went home. And watched lifestyle cooking until I felt like I was starving. Alone. I rang Meg to see if she wanted me to cook lunch but just my luck - her husband is home this week. I rang MOTH to see if he could have lunch with me too.. but I missed the time by a few minutes and it was too late.

I didnt do any of the work I should of done. I just sat alone. I felt guilty for this.

William claims his first day was wonderful. But everytime I look at his face I worry.

Soccer sign on Saturday.

Loving my kids is the easy part... living it is the hard part.

2 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

I took the day off work for Mias first day of school today too. I got home and for the two hours she was at school I read my Bryce zcourtenay Book. It felt weird, I admit, being home alone. I worked the two previous nights in the ER, it was crazy and hectic. The thing is, I think a quiet time alone is allowed...so don't be hard on yourself for having some down time...we all need time alone too lovey :)

Just Me said...

I am sure that William had a good time at school. He is a wonderful child and sometimes you under estimate his ability to blend into the crowd. My daughter started High School this week also. She had a good time and is making lots of new friends. My son, now has a girlfriend ! my god..they are all growing up Mel !
Big Hugs to you :)