Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Wanna hire a ute?

Christian took this photo on the way home from Theodore the other week. It is around Benaraby - and some larrikin has... indeed made it more noticeable.

Wonder if larrikinism will be part of the "values test" for our incoming migrants?

You have to like Ms Fits' idea - instead we could make Friday night games a more viewable show - really test them buggas! Best yet - make them compete against all our competent fellows in the Immigration Department!

I so wish I had of said what Steph said "Tis a shame the original inhabitants of this land didn't have similar "tests" before they allowed entry.
Can you picture it.
"oi whitefella, if ya can chuck that boomerang and catch that there roo, you can stay. Otherwise get back in ya boat and fuck off"."

Last night on the tv dumbass reporters were running around asking anyone of an ethnic origin remarkable questions like "What colour hair would you have if your nickname was Bluey?" and "Who was James Cook?" Why a shopkeeper or housewife would have to know this kind of edumacation is beyond me. Tell us the social consequences leading to the Eureka Stockade so you can come and pick fruit and pack meat? Better yet - engineer with shitloads of experience - how about you name the 50 greatest Australian sporting heros and their achievements. If you cant spell football, meatpies and holden cars your OUTTA here.

Remember the dickhead Yeppoon bait and tackle shop owner who complained about migrants COMING INTO HIS SHOP and not speaking English. He just didnt get it did he? COMING INTO HIS SHOP. Odd thing that - people from other countries are just as likely as us to want to go fishing and they could require tackle.

I loved working at Tafe with the wonderful hard working students in the English a Second Language department. Years ago I had a dear neighbour and friend who I spent hours with and watched her progress and frustration and her diligence! Nah - that starts three hundred stories.
But I do want to know whose fooking values are we going to use here? Dickheads come in all cultures. In that we are hardly unique.

6 comments:

halfmanhalfbeer said...

That is such a great picture!

HMHB

Cazzie!!! said...

Half of my patients..no, make that 80% of my patients are from non english speaking backgrounds (NESB for short). I am wrapt to announce I speak Italian, yet that does not help when I am looking after Chinese/mandarin, Greek or any other lingo presented. You know what? I can hold a convo with any of my patients through sign language, yep, we laugh, cry and have a great convo, even though they are from a NESB and I am a skip. What this says is that we can all make it living together. If they cannot speak the lingo, yet they provide us with such gr8 diversity culturaly, then we are the lucky ones :)

Melly` said...

Ty HMHB
Oh Cazzie -I used to volunteer tutor the migrants at TAFE (and will probably rock up tomorrow JUST CAUSE THIS HAS PISSED ME OFF) and yeah - I have trashed the course lesson and concentrated on the lingo for an elderly relative receiving pallative care to help my student understand what is being said to her - and focused on the drivers license test english because that matters - at THAT time and watched very dear neighbours and friends struggle and learn and..... yeah this testing shit really pisses me off.

I will write a happier nicer post next time I promise.

Boysenberry said...

Test them against Immi people? Now that may prove interesting...

As for the values test, some of the o/s students I know at uni know more about Orstraya than the born-and-breds.

Unknown said...

Nice post! Thank you sharing. Ute on rent may be required to carry out nay relocation or merely for travelling to distant place with your family and friends. Explore the Interent to find cheap ute hire services near to your location at reasonable prices.

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard of this ute hire thing before. It is an interesting concept.