Sunday, April 20, 2008

Missed Opportunity


Whilst staying at Joy's, somehow in conversation my aunt came up. Joy has been amused by my Aunts tales and expressed her desire to meet her one day. I said I think she is coming up to Queensland near July and that we could have that opportunity. This link is to a classic tale of my Aunt's wherein she was messing with the neighbours heads painting flowers.

However.

On the long horrid drive home with my youngest two children and a workmates children, we stopped at a large service centre at Caboolture North (according to my credit card statement) to have lunch... and so I could rest.... (I hate driving)

I walked into the ladies rest room and at the hand dryer was a woman I thought I recognized. I stopped for a second and wanted the courage to say... something...

She was intently drying her hands and didn't look up as I stared at her. I walked to the end of the toilet cubicles and turned and said... "Lola?" but I may have said it too softly. She didn't .. turn around or react.... so I decided I was mistaken. I decided in the toilet the woman was WAY TOO SKINNY to be my aunt. (One should never be fatter than ones' aunts.)

I ... missed an opportunity to spend a little time with someone I love because I am a coward! I kept thinking about it as I drove that horrid long drive home. And the second thing I did after admiring MOTH's handywork was to send off an email asking her if she was there. Over 1000kms from home at a service centre in Queensland.

She was taking her grandsons to the Sunshine Coast on a brief visit to Australia for medical treatment for her daughter.

They do plan to have a proper visit to Queensland in June. Hopefully we will all be better organised then!

No comments: