Thursday, June 21, 2007

I contemplated quiting

So I got to work this morning and everything was lovely. The director gave me my new uniform. Everyone was congenial and the person who had annoyed me... stayed away from me and seemed to understand that I did not want to participate in conversation with her. I took my cigarette break when I wanted without my previous checking to make sure she was happy with it.

The children provided me with hugs and kisses. The kids work better than a hot water bottle in this awful strange weather and carrying them and dancing with them was lovely and warm.

Two of them have finally ceased calling me Mummy and are calling me a variation of Melissa that works just fine for me.

"MISSALISSA - I WANT MY BOTTLE!" I understand perfectly. And "Missa I can't find my woobie" I understood too. ("woobie" is the name of the soft blankets she fondles) The others just laugh at me when I say "I am not Mummy - I am Melissa!" - and some of them like to argue with me.

I learnt about twenty years ago it is hardly worth arguing with a two year old. Sometimes it's useless to argue with adults too.

4 comments:

Just Me said...

MISSALISSA

I love it !

All will be well my friend :)

Melly` said...

It is the same kid who held my hand on the first day when I messed up the Hokey Pokey in toddlers room.. he graduated to my room.. and tries really hard for me.

SzélsőFa said...

I'm glad you did not quit:)
- when you first wrote about your new job with kids the love and enthusiasm you have towards the kids seemed so big and unconditional...

Boysenberry said...

I do like the sound of Missalissa :)

The days I used to really like were when I'd be the volunteer parent in preschool. I miss them now.