Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The school holidays

William spent the first week with his father in Rockhampton. Oh - look Tom is currently running second in the trainer premierships! Next holidays I should make all the kids visit!




Actually I tried that these holidays - but the girls refused to budge. I was aware he had won a few races.


I took William and his mates to the movies.. Jane declined to go to and so I let William take another mate with him.

One lunch hour of mine my kids Anna & Will (and Damien) met me at work and we went to KFC and then to the duckpond to feed the critters.



My youngest daughter had been fighting with her siblings and refusing to dress or get out of bed before midday so sadly she didnt attend this with us. I have a feeling it hurts me more than it hurts her.






Anna and I work at places 200 metres apart - and she started work when my lunch hour finished. Because of the nature of school holidays the lunch was hurried because I had to be late... long boring story about rubbish that shouldnt happen.

Just another reason I like dogs. And small people.

We went ski tubing and picnicking. That was mostly fun but there was a little bit of a disaster. Well - ok in my mind a big disaster.
When my friend and her daughter indicated they wanted to go on a boat ride and I used what I thought was tactful comments about how the two year old couldn't go on the boat because of the lack of a suitable floatation device..... it didn't work. And so when I realised he was indeed on the dam without it I... went and called MOTH in and blasted the snot out of him. I don't need words to blast MOTH anymore - he was completely aware how mad I was. I gave him a mouthful later just because I can.

It was MOTH's birthday.

When my grandson was here.. that law wasn't so strict. You certainly had a duty of care and had to carry floatation devices... but the law has changed since. My son Will is somewhat short for his age and attracts the attention of those who patrol such laws... I suspect the floatation devices we bought for my grandsons use would not pass the laws now about children on boats. But anyway we didn't have them. I think they are here but I don't think they would pass the new laws anyway. I know they don't have the ratings on them they need to pass the laws. By new laws I am talking two or three years old. And we just didn't risk my grandson on the boat three years ago.

I know accidents almost never happen. I know all of that. But I do know if they happen the consequences can be huge. I have lost the ability to take mad risks.

I was really wild though. Had MOTH been pulled up with mother and child without the required stuff - he does his car license as well as his boat license. I took it all out on MOTH. It is his license after all. His fine. Trust me these people aren't gunna pay you back the fine.

And I guess I started the day wild enough that the child didn't have a suitable car seat.

Believe it or not the whole story gets worse. I will write about it.. but I think just hashing this tonight has been enough.

It was meant to be a fun day. It ended up a disaster day. I stood there thinking what the fuck am I doing? I am allowing disasters to be a potential by fostering relationships that are not healthy for me. I adore MOTH and he thinks he is doing what I want when he accommodates my friends.

I don't care how brilliant a mother you think you are. How brilliant a swimmer or diver. You lose your kid in a dam that big... you are toast. Sink in it yourself... it isn't long before you cant see daylight and it is so so big. My daughter and I spent ages buying and tying my grandson into his floatation devices. We bought two cause we couldn't make up our minds.

And I might be being pessimistic. But I also read the paper and always cry at the small children lost out of stupidity.

I KNOW my friends love their kid. I KNOW my friends have many lovely qualities.. but I am wild with them. Really wild.

And I dont want to be wild.

No comments: