Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Goodbyes and till we meet again

The dogs only enjoy the left over food part of Christmas. They just don't appreciate being dressed up. Dotti chewed the pom pom off her hat while I was talking on the telephone to my mother.
We had a pre Christmas lunch with my workmate and Friend Fersie on Sunday. Fersie comes from the Philippine's and although her English is good sometimes there are certainly discrepancies if not damn mistakes. I asked her if her boyfriend liked seafood and she said yes. Frank is from Greece and due to being raised on seafood he considers it...peasant food. He explained this in the most eloquent and not insulting way. It is my description that sounds rude.

I was delighted to find my friends fiance.. a witty and intelligent conversationalist, extremely polite and capable of not reacting too badly as I kicked a bone from under the table under the cupboard hoping no one would see... but he did. I saw his face - he saw it.

The dogs also beat the back door consistently during lunch. Until Rocky grew tired of being ignored - climbed the 8 foot fence, again hurting himself, and banged on the front door.

So what was my menu for this person who didn't like seafood? Yep - prawn cocktails, followed by mud crab caught that morning by MOTH, turkey and roast veggies (thank fook I didn't decide to go salmon cutlets as I did consider) and parfait glasses with red wine jelly with blueberries, strawberry mousse, chocolate mousse, banana custard, mango frozen yogurt and topped with pretty chocolate sticks.
I had not met Frank before - although I have heard about him from Fersie who I have worked with for the past six months. She was very coy and cautious about telling me about him.. but he really was lovely and so caring with her. Fersie leaves soon with Frank and I will be the sorrier for it. Working with her has been a great pleasure. Sometimes I would help with her assignments and she has made me laugh and have to think harder than I normally allow myself to bother.

I think best of all is the contentment in sharing a workplace with someone you like, trust and who knows and understands your idiosyncrasies. Who you know cares as much as you do. And she never messes up my side of the cupboard. Ever. Cause I understand my mess. No one else does.

Anna also joined us for lunch. I had invited her to dinner but she was being thrown a goodbye party by her friends and naturally that was more important. I was a little worried inviting her to lunch because this was my celebration of Fersie's completion of her course, a Christmas celebration and a goodbye to Fersie.

I worried Anna would attempt to make it all about Anna. She arrived very hungover. Her apathy was upsetting but I am getting better and better and either holding my tongue or forcing back my tears. Although she was being amusing, my guests could tell I was annoyed at her behaviour.... and at one stage Frank challenged her.. and asked her... in 20 years when you have a child you love and your child is doing the same thing you are doing now.. how will you feel? He pressed her for an answer.

She boldly sat straight and stared back and said "I will be the coolest mum ever - I will allow my child to go out every night and I will be like.. XXXX's Mum and buy all the booze for their friends too, and I wont carry on like Mum".

We all looked at each other and knew we would remember this.

Two people I am going to miss very much. But the one on the left has been missing from my heart for enough time to let that grief go. The one on the right - well hopefully she will return.
At the dinner table Anna, showing all the class her mother did NOT teach her... had this to display to us. She claims it was done slipping on cat urine on the stairs where she has been staying since our altercation... and was done whilst in a sober moment not an intoxicated one. Sounds just lovely. Free accommodation for three weeks included with all you can party and drink - and slippery stairs. Go figure. No wonder I am not considered fun.

Bet she thinks her mother wouldn't post that on the Internet!

I do hope everyone had a Merry Christmas.

We went to a friends house where we were treated to great food, company and cocktails.

My three youngest children left Christmas Eve for their biological fathers house while I was at work. I returned to an upside down home. They took the printer which Anna and I had agreed would stay with me... but apparently Anna was so under the weather she didn't even bother to come home to help pack the stuff into her fathers 4x4. And what Jane threw in the bin would of made me cry if I could just remember how to let the tears actually flow.

MOTH seems to panic if I am distressed and can only resort to .. adult activities that I feel least like.

I dyed my hair back to dark brown Christmas Eve -(the original colour prior to when I was 27) to try amuse myself. It felt funny looking in the mirror... the brunette is someone I know but someone I... don't feel connected with. And those dreadful lines around her eyes! She was a nicer person than I am too... she cared more and was sure she could do more. She thought she could make everything wonderful and everyone happy.

I haven't done peering at her. Just looking and watching in the mirror.

5 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

Sometimes it is not so much fun to look into the mirror...
Perhaps, if your hair's back to the original color, you can rekindle some part of your older self...if that's what you think necessary...

I've just turned a year older on 23 December, and I had some hard times looking into that imaginary mirror as well..

Anonymous said...

I think the hair could be a new fresh start! How much better do women feel when we do something different and spontaneous! Love it Mum you look fantastic!! Change again in another year, playing with hair is fun! PS - Post the before and after pics

Anonymous said...

Melly; A petite blog from me. You I am a Xmas cracker fan. We have made that a family tradition for over 19 years. Yes I noted those -and guess what? I also want to decorate in green/gold and burgendy (i refuse to say red lol). Your tablecloth is beautious and your dinnerware is lovely. You presented a lovely table and ummmm....just know that I also love you. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Zef, we have the same birthday!!!! Melly, go figure you wud have friends the same eh. :-)

Cazzie!!! said...

LOL, I love the images, the dogs enjoying Xmas dinner too. My aunt's dog did the same thing, knocking on the front door while we sad and enjoyed dinner, and then the next morning during brekky he did the same thing, he made me laugh.
Yumm..I would come over any time for seafood, I love love love it!
Ouch for the bruise.