Sunday, August 17, 2008

I have a kayak

MOTH bought me a kayak on Friday.

I have wanted one for sometime - but generally he would dismiss it as yet another of my not so sensible desires. For example - I have always wanted a hideously expensive lamp. With four kids who always broke everything, always owning errant dogs and now grandchildren to continue the carnage... I still want this lamp. I am the one who throws the ball to the dogs inside. I am accused of being the one who decides to dance with my daughters at midnight to songs from You Tube.

I SUSPECT he bought it for me to prove I wont use it.


That is probably why when I woke up Saturday morning after he had left for work he had tied the bloody thing onto my car. I was very pleased to receive the gift but I didn't mean I wanted to go kayaking NOW. It is Winter still for heavens sake! In my very glamorous winter nightwear I stared at the car and kayak out the window. I know I said I wanted the damn thing - but I have errands to run, and I am not completely sure I can lift or tie this thing back on if I did try to use it.

When Cheree arrived we both stared over it with our cups of tea. We considered driving her car to Barney Point Beach and getting a bucket of sand to tip over the kayak to explain to MOTH that we did try it and would try it again once the warmer weather came back. But I have that dent in the car that isn't fixed and I figured the salt water wouldn't be so good. Or we were too lazy to even try that.

All we could think of was the water would be bloody cold.

MOTH arrived home much earlier than expected and he was keen to take it out. He had first go around Callemondah dam and I declined to have a go.


But this morning he assured me it was not as windy as yesterday afternoon and I did have a go... both at the Callemondah dam and in the Auckland Creek. The water was no colder than I remember it in the warmer months - only the wind made me feel cold where I splashed myself. I get a wet bottom because I am very unco-ordinated in the getting in and out of the kayak.


Next weekend I will attempt to row my little boat from Callemondah to the Yacht club. MOTH didn't know I had the camera.. so only pictures of him playing in it were taken.
But I do love my little kayak.


7 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

That's pretty darn cool. Good on you! Yes yes, waaaay too cold to be pottering about on the water this time of year! That'll be brilliant come the warmer months :)

Cyalayta
Mal :)

LuSh said...

Bring it on lovely. Haven't been out in our kayak's for months and months (tho my mad cousin & his girlfriend did take them out a few months ago, so they do still float. I promise you your cold has nothing on ours! Having said that my other cousins sent their boyfriends in for a swim on saturday... ffs I got in up to my knees to collect Sammy's ball on Saturday and it took 2 hours for my calves to thaw out and get feeling again!
See you DAMN soon!

Cazzie!!! said...

Awesome you are one lucky lady, what bliss :)

SzélsőFa said...

uhm...are you still sitting within your kayak?...

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Hope all is well in your world. [[[hugs]]]

LuSh said...

did the kayak sink or what?
and yes I know I haven't used any of my blog fodder yet. the bloody relatives conned me into the 'facebook' thing

travistee said...

How exciting! MOTH sounds like a good mate.