Sunday, October 08, 2006

Mama's chicken liver pate



More simple celebration food.
Ingredients
3 or 4 chicken livers
2 rashers bacon (optional)
1 small onion
1 shallot
1 clove garlic
small bunch of parsley
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons thickened cream


Cut the livers into four pieces, shred the bacon, dice onion, shallot and garlic and fry until soft in a frying pan with a some good olive oil. Cook until just softened. At last minute add the fish sauce. The house is going to smell terrible for a few minutes. But it is all worth it.

Transfer the mixture to the blender. (If you dont own a blender you can grind the whole lot through a seive - tedious but it works)
Add the parsley and cream. Blend until smooth. Taste test to see if you want salt or pepper. (Fish sauce is salty enough I find)

My Mama uses clarified butter to set it. Put a bay leaf in the centre of the container and gently pour the clarified butter onto it until all the pate is covered. I prefer a tablespoon of gelatine and a chicken stock cube - add boiling water, stir and gently pour over the top of the pate.

Serve with crusty bread and butter. Makes two small pots.

4 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Yummo. I reckon I would cook it outside on the bbq cooktop then if it smells yuk for a little while..let the neighbours smell it, LOL

LuSh said...

the stink is so rank though.... we have the Tas Pate Company.... me too lazy to bother, hehehehe

Melly` said...

Cazzie - bloody good idea! I should do that too. Would stop a few of the moans.

Lishy - A shop that sells Pate's! Oh - oh... my list of things to see in Tassie just gets bigger.

halfmanhalfbeer said...

Melly: in all my years of cooking I have never made pate, but I love it so I think I will give it a go. Thanks for the recipe.

HMHB