Saturday, March 31, 2007

Gardening continued

Here we are - now it has neat little sides that I can sit on and rest my drink on. The pak choy seedlings are just up! And the dogs have been angels - not once since original construction day have either of them chose to play in it. I should of taken a photo of the terrible mess in the yard they have made instead!

Answering SzélsőFa about water firstly.

We are handwatering and of course hoping for rain. Sometimes we get evening showers regularly. Sometimes I watch the radar when I spot the clouds... and they seem to just spread out and completely miss us. The cynics in the community blame the pollution and industry.

Because of the heat - Moth waters in the morning before work - I water again at lunch time and when he comes home from work he enjoys drinking a wine spritzer with the watering can.

We rent here - so we dont pay the excess water bill. As far as I am aware - we don't get one anyway... because once the Landlady did complain we had one - and she hasnt complained since. Here - households are allocated a usage .. and if the meter shows we use more - then homeowners get an extra charge on their local rates (taxes) bill.

Our water supply for the community is the beautiful Awoonga dam. I have shown some pictures of it here.

The dam had been very low when we arrived here and they had just completed upgrading of the dam walls - and then every household had strict water restrictions. Beautiful gardens had been abandoned and it was terribly dry everywhere. Alternative water suggestions were being discussed in public and industry were trying to do their bit to contribute to conservation. Then a small (I think category 2) Cylone (Beni) came near.... and brought enough rain to restock the dam - and now our area doesnt have a water problem!

We went fishing at Awoonga back when the water was low and caught huge catfish (in Australia they are pests and very few people try to eat them). For some mad reason I decided that I was going to eat them because my northern friends assured me they were edible. Cutting a very long story short - I gave up and told the kids to drag the ... slighlty mangled fish across the mudflats far away from the house. Beni bought along a flood... that bought the fish straight back into my yard. I stay the hell away from them now. They might be fun to catch.. but they can damn well stay at Awoonga. Nasty, freaky fish. Only good fun to catch. There are reasons Australians only eat nice fish.

Then to Trundling Grunt who I had most certainly admired his gardening and as I perused his blog - the irony that someone I enjoy reading ALL THAT WAY AWAY.. is basically doing the same thing we are doing! But after SNOW AND COLD STUFF!

Being so close to the coast.. and at the tropic of Capricorn - we dont even get frost here EVER. When I whinge it is cold it means it is less than 21 C. At night time in winter it falls to 12 -15 C - but I wouldnt know really - I am safe and warm in my bed. Last year we did buy a heater. But really it was just a luxury... I could of done what I have every other year and told the family to all wear a cardigan or a jumper.

Ok - and that said.. I have an odd confession. I considered this house... more like something I was camping in.. and so didnt worry about the badly patched paint inside or the lack of gardens .. for over two years. I kept storing my furniture and .. basically kept saying.. when we move I will fix it. Then... some time last year I decided that my attitude really really sucked. So - I have painted the main living areas and almost finished the trims. I am about to tackle the bathroom and loo - and will do it cheaply but well. I have bought furniture out of storage and found ways for it to fit in a little house that was never meant to have my stuff in it. But oddly enough - this little change in my attitude has made me feel so much happier.

We crazy paved a walk way out the back and built a garden up the fence that will soon screen me from our neighbours. The tomatos and capsicums that grow from that garden have given us great pleasure.


And look what Moth has been dragging home from a worksite this week. There is enough to pave either the entire carport... or around the pool I hope to buy this winter. His work is pulling up these pavers to make way for a more modern finish. These are meant to be dumped... but they are all coming home instead.

Now - the pool is a funny story on its own.. and I will attempt to tell it soon!

3 comments:

rackorf said...

Catfish. The name says it all.

Melissa said...

The garden is looking good!

I'd like to pave an area behind our house, but we'll probably go a cheaper way and construct a wooden patio or low deck. I can't wait to get started, and you're right, investing your time and energy into home improvement can really improve the attitude. I'll have to remember that when I get to griping about our house. There are things we could do that wouldn't cost too much but would have a huge impact.

SzélsőFa said...

Thanks for answering my questions. Water is a vanishing resource, PLUS watering is one of the main problems of gardeners over here, that's why I asked in the first place.

Please let us know about the story of the pool, too.

Re: temperature.
It is mid-Spring here and at noon it might get as high as 18-20 degrees centigrade, but this very morning greeted us with frost-bitten grass blades.