Sunday, May 18, 2008

The football weekend? Or the secret weekend?

Saturday morning I accompanied a friend to her sons AFL game at Rockhampton to deliver some cooked meals to my daughters and have a brief visit with them. So - here is William, Anna and a friend of theirs - Zak, early Saturday morning at football. Hmmm.... my kids are rather short actually. William commented that he wants to play AFL also.... and I looked in horror at the size of the other kids and the size of him. He never ever seems to understand he has a height disadvantage. Zak plays in under 17's and William plays under 15's for heavens sake.
Yes - Anna looks rather unkept in this particular photo. But she is demonstrating her misery. It wasn't until we got there that she said... "Goodness Mum I didn't realise people we know would be here - you could of made me do my hair!"
She is miserable over a boy. And whilst she tells me about her problems with the boy, her problems with her sister Jane and her father, her job, school, wanting to quit school and work in childcare, missing her friends, being expected to cook and clean and how there are never enough hours in the day.... I do hear her complaining that she doesn't like the food she is expected to eat. So I cooked her and Jane some meals, froze them and took them up.
As soon as we got to the AFL - Jane and Courtney (her partner in the shoplifting incident in December) asked if they could walk back to Jane's fathers house (maybe four blocks away). I cant refuse Jane any opportunity to exercise - so although I had hoped to enjoy that hour or so with both my daughters I still said yes to them walking home. I figured it was unlikely they could get into trouble in such a short amount of time. Courtney is a darling - she cant keep secrets. Jane too has boy problems and she wouldn't share anything like that with me. Anna will tell me too much but Jane wont tell me a thing. Jane also has a new mobile phone and I don't have the number.
As we drove off my friend shouted out to Jane - "Don't worry your mum has your number - she got it from the text message you sent her for Mother's day!" (Jane was the only one of my kids who didn't bother to contact me)
Anna needs another 12 logged hours (or so?) before she can get her drivers license. I wanted to give her lessons this weekend but my car has a fan belt that is squealing and that is why I opted to instead accompany my friend to meet with my girls.
This week I will attend to taking my car to the mechanics - and the weekend arrangement worked so well - that next weekend we will also travel with my friend to meet with the girls. Except we will drive further on to Yeppoon in Anna's car for the lesson and meet back at Rockhampton for lunch at Sizzlers and a visit to the zoo. All things going well - which sometimes they don't.
I gave Anna the money for a professional lesson this week. I hope she organises it and does it.
We are heading to Gold Coast again at the end of June for cheer leading Nationals competition and to meet with friends and family... and buggared if I want to be doing all the driving. I want her to drive.
Oh. My friends oldest daughter has a new boyfriend. Who happens to be Anna's first boyfriend - Robert.(I am classifying first boyfriend on the basis that he was her first lover) He was lovely. He treated Anna like a princess and Anna used to run around the house madly before he arrived making sure it was clean and begging us to be a) clothed b) sober and not make any jokes whatsover and preferably not speak at all and c) not to make any mess whatsoever.
My friend managed to keep this a secret from me for 5 1/2 hours. I am in awe. I would NEVER of managed to keep such a secret for that long from her. We discussed at work all week the fact we knew her daughter was interested in a boy. We discussed the potentials. I guessed Robert... and even did a little spying on Myspace etc..... but my friend said... nah couldn't be him. Her daughter HATES red heads. (My friend is a redhead)
Her beautiful daughter wouldn't tell her because apparently my friend cant keep secrets. Go figure huh?

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

"She is miserable over a boy..." That is so CUTE! Very real issue for her at the moment for her, tho.

Wow.. mystery and intrigue all around your place with boyfriends and girls! Whoah!

Sounds like a fast ride tho. Enjoy!

Cyalayta
Mal :)