Thursday, May 15, 2008

William's birthday.. or my complete inability to keep secrets

William will be 14 next week. And as I procrastinated and pondered and .... did it again... the only thing he really wanted... was the xbox360 which is already like.. ancient technology...and you probably should buy the elite one etc etc....
William is meant to empty the bins and water the plants on the front verandah. Especially since Anna left home, he never remembers either. Sometimes he is meant to get washing off the line or out of the dryer and put it away. It is all on his top bunk in his bedroom as we speak.
But he never causes me trouble or headaches OTHER than because he will not tell me when he needs new things - like shoes and toothbrushes. Lack of time, or wasting time - bad time management and lousy shopping .... I just got in a bad mood and decided I wanted to buy him what he wanted.
MOTH was late home indulging a little with his friends. I was a little bit wild. (Wild as in angry) MOTH was a little intimidated by my bad temper and as I hadn't consumed any alcohol I drove us to the mall... shopping after a fifteen minute quick read on the xbox 360. We probably should of bought the elite version. If we waited the K-mart lovely girl warned us - we would save a whole $15 next week. But I was just tired and wanted the whole.. birthday dilemma out of the way. So we bought the.. go pro box and a game... with lots of swearing and the russian immigrants steal cars and stuff...
MOTH made William find the present by telling him to take the garbage out and the stuff being out there. In MOTH's mind that is funny. Give creedence to the fact MOTH gets frustrated to death by my lack of being able to keep such a secret and wait for the birthday. But I really cant. MOTH wanted to keep the game at least as a secret. I rang Anna to tell her of the torture... and she understood Mummy cant keep secrets.
Anna is a little upset because the love of her life... was a little mean today and she feels her heart is breaking. Sunday... I will make try fix it... but you cant really. When you are 17 and you think your boyfriend has been mean... the sun has stopped shining. She was good because she ... at least or only.. could understand my absolute impatience....
My brother told me to buy a Wee2 or something. So did Sara I think. But I felt.. William just never bothers me. He never tells me I dont provide enough. He never asks for ANYTHING. He never tells me how great anyone elses parents are and how he has nothing. I dont even notice he has inadequate footwear until it becomes a state of embarrassment. I knew he wanted this thingo.
And I couldnt wait just one week till his birthday to give it to him.
But... as I purchased it... his mates Reggie, Jayden and Sam came to the counter to say G'day. So... that gives me an excuse. As if they would of kept a secret?

4 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

It feels easier to give presents to a kid who never actually asks for one, isn't it?
I don't see any wrong with giving him the present a bit earlier - although I never do things like that.
I buy presents well before the event, sometimes I hide the present for months in my closet until that special day :)

Cazzie!!! said...

My kids love their xbox 360, I am glad he is a good boy for you, my boys never hassle me for anythign eithwer, it is nice!

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

He sound so much like my 11-yo son! A quiet, unassuming young man who just gets on with things quietly, while his other brothers seem to bounce around life! lol

Glad u were able to spoil him tho.

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Melissa said...

He sounds like a wonderful kid, and I'm glad the birthday celebration started a little early :)