Saturday, July 22, 2006

Failing? Nah just.. adjusting

I am still smoking about ten cigarettes a day. I still think 40 to ten is good. And occasionally I haven't resisted the urge to imbibe. Thursday night I was upset with Anna and afraid I would not sleep for the 8am start at work. So I drank port and white wine and slept heavily - and duly punished with Friday morning - yes being awake and ready to work - but my face badly broken out in the terrible rash. I decided that the boxes of drugs the doctor gave me had alcohol avoiding warnings.. so I avoided taking the pills instead. Sigh.

Yesterday M arrived with nibblies that just paired too well with red wine (buggar my vegetable juice)and with a bottle shop just a run across the road away..... but hell it was nice and we had some great laughs.

I have a job interview Monday evening after work at Women's Health. It is a position wherein I would only work 22 hours a week - but would have the certainty of KNOWING what days/times I work for a couple of years. This suits a creature of habit (usually all the bad ones) like me... I hate not knowing what days I have to work. But of course there is always the dreaded INTERVIEW to botch up. I am so good at doing THAT! I would like the job because I prefer work within the community rather than for a huge engineering company.... and this is for young mothers. Well - I was a mother at 17 and my daughter too was a mother at 17 (much to my... angst/frustration/tears/pleadings and ultimate... resignation) I know EXACTLY how intimidating it can be trying to attend Breastfeeding mothers meetings... and sitting in the carpark looking at other somewhat older mums getting out of their brand new four wheel drives, assembling their fantastic baby crap and deciding instead to go back home and maybe sing out to the neighbour over the back fence and ask HER ADVICE.. rather than endure any.... real or absolute bullshit insecurity embarrassment/humiliation.

Yes - I know stay where I am and maybe it will lead to more money - lots of money greater things - but I guess the sad thing is that that doesnt seem to attract me all that much anymore. (When did I lose all my ambition? I don't know that answer either?) Who knows? And .. my path will... be chosen somehow. I would just like to keep being here for Anna and William - Jane is so much more content now at boarding school...

In the past 7 months Anna has had some big changes in her life. Her first job - the money and freedom that brings (I have been so proud of her...) and her first real boyfriend. (We like him lots - DONT TELL HER THAT!) But she has also gone from being an almost straight VHA (Very High Achievement) student to a SA (Satisfactory Achievement) student. Her behaviour hasnt changed - she still tortures her teachers - she CANNOT stay quiet if she thinks an injustice has been done and she will tell adults she thinks they are wankers (I am probably at fault there.. I should of stopped her yelling at adults when she was three - it was just so damn FUNNY when she was three?)... just the marks. But - the changes have meant that she gets home from school.. works for three or four hours, then entertains the boyfriend till about 10 pm..... and of course there is no time for study. In the past when she always got me to proof read assignments... nowdays I only see some.. and that is at 8.30 am and we have 10 minutes before we drive to school.

My little princess has also taken to constantly indicating we are beneath her standards.... can't possibly have friends over here because the house is too daggy,my wonderful sorting of messes are embarrassing, and no one else she knows decides to strip ten layers of paint off something in the living room for 6 weeks! She cant possibly let boyfriend or girlfriends talk to us because we are embarrassing and I accidently repeat stories that I think are really very funny.... and if she is picked up from school in the ford its a major problem because the state of the car (and worse when the dogs have come along for the ride) is utterly humiliating...."why cant we just have normal looking dogs like everyone else?" type stuff? So we had a big fight Thursday - both of us cried... me probably more (alcohol excited - you should see the two of us watching anything Disney... man are we criers) and I am still riding her butt about her grades. Now - to me this picture is funny. It is Dotti the wonderdog completely asleep on the dining chair. (Don't worry I finally hoiked that table out the front today - I so miss mine - there is just no way it can fit in this house.)

The thing I never learn about my puppies.. is that only dogs of small breeds should be encouraged to sit on laps or furniture. Large dogs do not ever seem to understand that they have grown and should no longer drape themselves on furniture humans inhabit. My dogs still want to sit on EVERYONES laps... any chair, sofa or bed. You would think she would be uncomfortable hey?

I was most offended when Anna knocked the dogs and queried why I never bring home a pure bred dog. I think I have a reason for that. I had a step father who on two occasions bought home purebred dogs thinking this would make him look good. He really did. It wasnt the dog that amused him.. it was the fact the dog was expensive looking and that would make him look good. My Mum likes animals - but I dont think she has ever had a permanent relationship with anything. She is very gifted as an artist. She can make almost anything look beautiful. I never understood why she didnt stand up for the dogs - I do now... hindsight is such a bastard!

And naturally I loved the dogs dearly. One puked in his damlier (matter of fact so did I and I didnt last all that long either hahaha) and the other... I think I just annoyed him with my devotion to it... and both dogs were sent....... to.. other ends.. I look in my dogs eyes and I think they are beautiful. Rocky is a spoilt nasty little bully boy who couldnt fight to save his life. A warmonger who couldn't fight to save his life and will faint at the sight of blood. He would send you to your death in battle though. Dotti is deaf... completely and utterly deaf. If she cannot see you she cannot understand you and if you dont think.. she will mistake what you think you meant to tell her. She chases the garbage truck for stealing her crap (Dotti loves the contents of a garbage bin and she IS well fed) and its one hell of an ordeal to get her back home. She is way more social than Rocky - she doesn't mind a good play with other dogs but under Rockys influence she wont.. she would rather fight with him. I take her out alone and she is lovely with her interaction with other dogs. (I am not meant to have the dogs in my car so that is yet another secret - dogs are only allowed in the ford) Put them together and they just want to fight every dog.Any dog. Except bigger ones than Rocky. THEN he behaves.

So - I havent beaten my addictions. Except coffee. Christian, Anna and William keep me .. saner. For Jane I want to beat at least another one before next holidays. I cannot keep telling her what she should do if I can set some example. Musing on how nice it would be if she were home tonight. She is the only kid I had that doesnt wriggle to sleep with. Ah well! And tomorrow I have boring stuff... blah.... maybe I will sneak out for a while!

(Thank you Rox. xxx)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are welcome Melissa, though do not know for what. For admitting that I am equally as insane as you? For induging as much as you? Or for offering more gentle advice - moderation and not deprivation lol. Whateva - glad to have you back xoxoxoxox
Rox

Boysenberry said...

Keep going with giving up the durries. It took me awhile, but after 6 months, I weaned myself off them.