Monday, July 10, 2006

The stupidity of smoking cigarettes part 1

Approaching my 38th birthday I was wrangling with my stupid behaviour of cigarette smoking. Notwithstanding the fact I have in recent months developed the crusty horrific cough of a smoker as an after effect of what should have been a simple case of the flue. I remember looking at ANCIENT (my age now) hard drinking, harder living women in the small town I grew up in thinking what bloody idiots are they. Not only was I doing the same thing, but to aid my ghastly cough when smoking I was gulping down cough syrups and swigging on water all day – especially before and during smoking. And at places of work or where some form or decorum was necessary I was HIDING THE COUGH SYRUP and not the cigarettes? Add the lozenges I sucked on, the times I have soaked my fingers in bleach to remove the yellow stains, spraying my hair with perfume cause I don’t have time to wash the smell out and what I have subjected my teeth to in order to get rid of the stains – which the dentist says quite bluntly –JUST STOP SMOKING. Nah not me. I go pay him a couple of hundred dollars to get the stains off instead. Or make myself puke with vinegar and bi carb soda and scrub until I am satisfied.

I was smoking up to 40 cigarettes a day. I answered the quit coach guide online and said I was smoking 30. (It is poetic license … not an out an out lie. SOMEDAYS I PASSED OUT DRUNK AND DIDN’T GET TO SMOKE THE WHOLE PACKET HONESTLY) That wretched thing came back and told me I was spending $85 a week on my addiction. Noice hey? $4 k a year on stuff I smoke and cough like an old hag over.

So, somewhere in the folds that I call sanity I decided that this is my year to quit. I hadn’t really discussed it with anyone – it had just been a long discussion with myself. We talk a lot me and I. Just such a dreadful shame we disagree with each other so often!

Wednesday morning was my birthday and I fully anticipated a sleep in, a late breakfast with my two youngest daughters, (William being away) shopping and then cooking for friends for wine and nibblies. I had smoked my head off and drank two bottles of wine on Tuesday night. So of course at 9am work rang and said can you get in here ASAP. BLAH! I drank two cups of coffee and smoked 7 cigarettes in 20 minutes while dressing suitably and putting on makeup.

Anna (daughter No.2) wonderfully took control of catering for wine and nibblies – which is a fairly common occurrence in this house anyway – but she outshone herself. Jane (daughter no 3) wasted her last ten bucks buying me a beautiful thoughtful present. Anna went overboard and spent way too much money – her newly gained appreciation of work and money has somehow been .. Misappropriated in direction. Pleased though I am at her generosity it is misdirected at me!



M and K arrived in full birthday mode – gifts and more wine! And when I announced my plans to go on the nicotine patches in the morning both were suitably supportive with my plans. We enjoyed our food and wine and giggles. And then they went home to their families. Christian soon passed out. And Anna had unfortunately chosen that night of all nights to conduct a sleep over with two girlfriends …… and I spent a little time crying to myself as I heard them have fun while I sat alone. Contemplating my misery at giving up my beloved white smoking thing that has kept me and I company for so long.

I am going to post this now because Blogger keeps mucking me up and losing things.. or is that me? Nevermind.

6 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

Your daughter is a product of what you have made her you know..and I am sure that you being stoked over her catering abilities gave her much pleasure even if she is "too cool" to let you know it. You are to be commended also :)
I am so glad you are going to give up the ciggys, seen enough heartbreak over the weekend to last me a lifetime and the diagnosis' were related to smoking aswell :(
Happy Birthday darl...it is my friends' babies 1st birthday today aswell :)

LuSh said...

If it makes you feel better to kick that nicotine rubbish habit (you know I love it... not) I've had one caffinated soft drink in 10 days. One (and that was last night because I was busy, tired, felt like crap and needed a boost)

Go melly, go melly, go go go melly

Anonymous said...

happy birthday! looks like you had a good one.

Anonymous said...

I, being of sound body (?) and mind (??) am now duly chastised. Older, wiser and one known to indulge of the beautiful grape and the leaf of tobacco, have forgotten and neglected my friend's birthday. Nay, I say to the lines and horrors of her addictions. She is oh so harsh on the beauty that lives within her and that we all see when she blogs. Her children are splendors, her life long mate is a beautwho defends her ferociously, and she, herself, is a woman that would give you her last sarong (though she won't be able to find it, cuz she wud never wear it - hey and even give back the thongs that one leaves at her house though she has been known to wear them on her head - and proudly too! (ok ok she is a tad weird, but I mean that in the most beautifulest of ways), to a friend. She shares her friendship, her house, her heart, her family, her fish even!!!!!!, each time she talks out loud to anyone who dares open her blog.

Blesses to you my friend - yeah I know you don't do angels, so bless my ass ok? whateva.

I truly am sorry that I forgot your birthday, errrrr......ok, I offer to you Oliver in payment - nahhhh...you can roll up his catfur and smoke that k? Safer than my head.

with much love and respect.....
I will remain your friend, now and forever.....
just me

Melly` said...

I do hope Cazzie and her brood do make time to visit our humble abode during their travels in the wonderful bus. We will all have a marvellous time.

Oh Lishy - my rotten addictions are so HARD to part with. But I am doing my best. P.s. Bob returns this year in September! How will I possibly amuse him as well as you did? Maybe Joy can help? Did he say he hated lamb? Oh.. fook it.. if I just post pictures of bikini cladded women all over the place he should be fine?

Elsewhere - thank you. Birthdays can be such shitty occasions. The amazing and beautiful youth and intelligence of my children versus the...... blah.. ty... (Maybe I should write to you when I actually create interesting posts? sometime near future?)

The very not anonymous Gabrie||a... you are always well loved by us. I can wear more clothes nowdays.. it's an almost winter. I wore a jacket three times this year already. And the peacock blue of your knickers suited me wonderfully as a headdress! Canuck is still pooping on front lawns and upsetting residents.If I was mayor I would insist the residents who cant cope with a little roo poo had to move. Mind you I wouldn't go too close to him either. Hahahaha.. come back and we can do it all again. I am too scared to do Mooses with you now I know "Northern Exposure" was a sham? I will buy myself some binoculars very soon. Love you.

Cazzie!!! said...

Hey Melly, update already!!!! Take time to scratch ur butt and type an entry, lol.