Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Anzac day 2007

"Lest we forget". Friends participated in the Anzac dawn service and parade.

Our family - opted to play. A day off work and school in the middle of the week was just too good an opportunity.

And - one of my aunts showed me once that my grandmother only didnt produce a baby every second year when my grandfather was away for four years. That was the second world war though....

We had a slow start to the day - because Will's best mate Damien was advised that a day playing on the dam isnt a clever idea before a big soccer game that they had this afternoon for the school. When Damien said he wasnt coming - I was considering cancelling.

But my girlfriend who had at wine and nibblies last night said they wouldnt attend - decided not only to come but to bring another friend and kids. I had arranged to simply borrow one of her kids and the ski tube sometime in the morning. But much better - now we had all the brood! (Minus two who were at other things)

Hope rang to say "Where are you?" (she too didnt give me a positive YES.. so I was unsure if she was coming) and I said.. Just find us the best picnic site you can - and get the BBQ started! So - about 2 hours behind schedule... the days fun begins.
Anna proceeds to take photographs of HERSELF. She could probably remember in the future that at Awoonga there are plenty of better backgrounds than the garbage bin!
And Anna and Jackie check out the playground equipment while the BBQ heats up.
MOTH and Meg assemble the hammock.
Bob and Billy head off for the first canoe ride. Jackie and I went second.
We watched the launch of the canoe and the arrival of our boat from our picnic spot. Those little people down there are Bob, Billy, Will and Jacob I think?
And no sooner had we paddled the canoe to the pontoon - shipped all the kids over to the pontoon in the boat - assembled the ski tube and the ropes... given only two kids a ride - and it was 1 pm and we all had kids sporting things to attend this afternoon.

Brunch of sausage, eggs, bacon, tomato, onion and baby spinach leaves on the BBQ - only MOTH and myself had time on the water with the kids... The adults amused themselves back at the picnic spot. When I got back they were discussing superannuation. I suspect I had the better time of everyone! I didnt get my breath back from paddling the canoe until we drove back into town.

It is disappointing leaving fun play because you have too. The water was lovely - and it isnt madly hot. I loved the canoe and really want to buy one for me. It's on my wish list. MOTH thinks I am nuts - who would want a toy without a motor? But it is such lovely exercise - just perfect. The ski tube was so much more fun than the surfboard which was a little tricky to hang onto.

I guess there is always this Sunday! No leaving late then!

5 comments:

GaBrie||A said...

Oh I am so terribly jealous - well in a good way that is. I really wanted to be there too!!! You know what? Today was my first day in Australia 3 years ago. *sigh* Unhappy anniversary to me that I am not there this year as well. Ah well, I always will have my memories. So cheers to us and the times we shared. Red red wine lives forever ;-) hugssss and always much love - just me

Cazzie!!! said...

Excellent day had by all, now that is what family is about :)

SzélsőFa said...

oh, what a gorgeous time you had and seem always to have....
no, I'm not jealous... no, no, no...

Trundling Grunt said...

Looks like you had a beautiful day and gorgeous weather for it.

Melly` said...

Rox- time flies hey. It feels like only yesterday. And I still havent done anything about the wine stains when I spilt the red wine all over the white bedspread. It is in the cupboard... waiting. For three years. Blah - I never said I was Martha Stewart huh? COME BACK!

Cazzie - yeah.. the best of times. It was only a minute ago my children were your childrens size.

SzélsőFa - I know you dont have to be jealous! You and your family enjoy beautiful places just like mine!

Trundling grunt - the motto for Queensland is - beautiful one day - perfect the next! (It's kinda a huge fib - sometimes its unbearably hot and if its windy that ruins water play.)