Monday, April 30, 2007

The Joy of friends....

Joy and the kids arrived Friday night and called in for a quick g'day (read HUGS) and then they left to visit the rest of their family and friends the next day. I liked her thinking - call in on EVERYONE (Did you all note I was FIRST!)in the first twenty four hours so she didnt have to tell anyone she arrived in town four days ago... and make them feel like they missed out.

Saturday night they arrived back - and the fun began. I ran into A another child who shared our lives - and told him they were in town and that he was welcome to come over. He did - and it was fun to watch Joy and the kids spin out at how tall he had grown. Actually my choice of word as child - seems a bit odd seeing hes a foot taller than me.

The plan was for us to get out to Awoonga dam early... so as to get the best picnic spot. Yep - we stayed up drinking talking and LAUGHING until almost dawn...and at 8 am my friend Meg rang and said:-

"Where the heck are you?"

To which I replied... "I will be there in a minute" and promptly dropped the phone in the bed and stayed asleep for another hour and a half.

We did go out. We barely cooked. We played on the water for a little while. The ski tube BURST... (Of course it wasnt ours it was another friends - blah!) But all the children had a swim.... Joy and I had some more laughs.... And the exhaustion of excitement ....

Late Sunday night (or it felt late because of the fatigue) - Joy and the kids lament that they wish they were staying for two weeks and not one. After all it has been 3 and a half years - but it feels like yesterday we were laughing, singing, dancing, viewing silly jokes,drinking and eating together. Except now we have a million stories each to tell.

The plan was for them to return this weekend intime for the Pink concert - a gift for Micaela. Suddenly - Joy says to Micci.. "What do you want to do more - the concert or stay here an extra week." Micci decides without any hesitation TO STAY HERE! I get all teary that she choses us...But it is just so lovely to have their smiles - and stories and laughter....

Within a few minutes.. they decide to give their tickets to my daughter Anna. Anna rings her friend Madison - whose parents instantly say - sure we will drive you girls the 6-7 hours to the concert on the weekend! How lucky is Anna?

Laughing can hurt. So can smiling. So can my head trying to drink and talk and remember to make sure everyone is well fed and happy - until the birdies start cheeping. But it's all worth it. A few hours ago my friend Robyn said she was up for a visit too.

I guess there is no joy without sorrow. But sorrow sucks. My girlfriend Hope rang me this morning whilst I was lazing in bed and Joy and the kids were making slow but at least movement this morning. She had received a phone call from a job she really wanted - to get the rejection and then FIVE MINUTES later she got called into the office of a relatively new job she absolutely hates... to be fired. So we went and picked her up. And we all did NOTHING.. all day. We ate, I tried to nap...(my heads not being my friend) the kids amused themselves...

I am defensive about Hope's misfortune. I know her compassion and dedication. The job she was fired from this morning was as a sales person at Harvey Norman. There is no way I would ever work there! A flat base pay...you have to work weekends and Thursday nights and your expected to bump up your wages with commission. As a matter of fact I dont think I ever want to shop there again. I will because I am lazy. And let's face it she hated the job. The young girls were nasty to her about her age. They called her in on Saturday (her rostered day off) - and in she went even though she had plans. And still fired her Monday.

My beloved dog got beaten up in a fight he picked on the weekend. He's sore and.. should be sorry. Sadly I know he will do it again. He sat close next to Hope today so they could be sad together. She was so brave. And Joy was wonderful at ... picking up the pieces.

2 comments:

Gollywobbles said...

Hi Melly, thought I would pop in to say hello. Thanks for your comment on the birdhouse. I've been so caught up in my world lately.....

I love the names HOPE and JOY. I just made 3 angel dolls this past weekend, and I named them Faith, Hope and Joy!!! I will be posting about Hope and Joy later in the week. I simply ran out of time! Interesting! Take care, Sam

GaBrie||A said...

Oh how I wish I had been there!!!! But hey, you poured a glass of red wine and put it on the table for me!!!! I was there -sorta, kinda. I know you also drank my wine lol greedy guts! Thank you for thinking of me and letting me part of that lovely time. Joy - it was grand to speak to you, though we were both far too hungover to really catch up. Perhaps this weekend? lol I doubt it eh. We will both be knackered but full of great thoughts. Thank you Melissa for keeping us all in touch. hugssss always and forever love. xxx