Friday, April 27, 2007

Winning by default

I am no sales person. I couldn't sell anything. I find salespeople pushy and awful - and always feel I get railroaded a bit. I secretly admire people who can sell. I have no courage to talk to strangers and have to force myself to do it. I hate being in a room full of strangers. Although I do have certain product preferences - If I am buying something I like to research it myself and choose that way. (Ok - so usually I just ask Bernie or Joy because I know they research things better than I do)


I get "guilted" into buying things I don't want.


During the year there are fundraisers that I feel compelled to support. The school ones, the community services ones, some disease type ones and the hospitals that supported me and William all those years ago. I get given tickets to either sell or buy. I usually just buy them all myself and put them in my friends names out of guilt that I didnt try harder. I have bought William gifts myself rather than having to help him sell tickets to earn the present.


Anyway - last week before a meeting I was frantically trying to find a book of tickets I was meant to sell. I had.. months to sell them. Finally - I find the book of tickets.. that I had been using under the phone to write down numbers I so hope I don't need... and fill the tickets out in my girlfriends names. Then I rush to the meeting not wanting to be the last one (which is normal and somehow even this time I arrived last anyway!) and find the family had robbed my last cash. (This is normal and ok - they do it all the time) and I have to whisper to my friend... spot me the raffle money PLEASE... (I hate it when I have to do that!)


Now I particularly liked one of the prizes. But I figured it would be inappropriate for me to win. And that was a little of the reason I put the tickets in my friends name. And let's face it I can't win an argument lately.


The tickets are drawn and the winner of the first prize is my friend Meg. I ring her and tell her to come to my house because I have a surprise... and she comes... and declares the painting by local artist Jean Kane... horrid and I can have it!

I LOVE IT!

I owe Meg a lunch. And the painting is mine. She preferred the other prizes.

I love my painting!

5 comments:

SzélsőFa said...

Among the 3 paintings, I would have chosen this one, too.

Melly` said...

I have a feeling you and I have a lot in common SzélsőFa!

Trundling Grunt said...

Lucky you. I buy the tickets, end up winning something I don't want, and then give it away. Why I just don't pay them to go away and stop bugging me I'll never know.

Cazzie!!! said...

Lovely that your fundraising efforts paid off Melly, I am same as you, always findraising for shcool and kinder, but I refuse to do canteen, cannot stand the banter of people there..too much else to do, like helping the prep class read and so forth.
I too have raffle tix to sell, by next week, want one, LOL.

Melly` said...

tg - exactly! Usually I win things like wheat heat sacks! That's why this default win was lovely for me - I Love the painting.

Cazzie- at least you can try to sell them even in jest - I HATE asking anyone for money of any kind.