Sunday, March 30, 2008

A delightful end to my holiday

My intentions for these four days taken off work were honorable. I had every intention of completing my studies. I was going to paint all the trims brilliant and clean white. I was going to spring clean and be industrious and get all those niggly little things I want to get done... done... Ten days of getting things into order.

But I wrote myself that list.... and I guess I never really got past No 15 - drink wine, eat food and be entertained by my friends.

After Easter I thought with MOTH at work and William at school I would move onto the more serious parts of my list.

Instead I had coffee with Meg for morning tea, then lunches - Tuesday I cooked, Wednesday Chinese, Thursday Tapas at Chattin' Cafe with Kelly and Meg and Friday Yummy Noodles with Meg and Jill on Meg's veranda. Yesterday I prepared nibblies for Simona's hens night and attended for a little while. MOTH and I snuck out early (of course MOTH wasn't at the hen's party; that was downstairs -he was upstairs with the hosts husband) because we had no children at home and I am not very comfortable around strangers.

So - today was my last chance. And MOTH was annoyed with me that I wouldn't come boating with him early this morning. I did the washing and pulled out all my books and paper for study.

Yesterday it rained - glorious hard rain that melted the heat and smelt so delicious. So William and Damien of course went to the mudflats to play. We would too if we were 14-13. But three times those boys came home muddied and wet... so I had stuff to attend to here. The back ramp and laundry covered in mud. Urgent washing.

So - there I was being a good mummy/student/housewife type person. And I was feeling hungry and reluctant to cook something for one person. And no kids to grab and buy something and go feed the ducks. And as I hung out the washing there were hundreds of tiny yellow and huge black butterflies. Green tree frogs in the hippiastrums. The sky was blue and the sun felt wonderful.

So I called MOTH and asked him to pick me up from the boat ramp in front of the Yacht Club. He was about to come home - but was pleased I decided to join him. I said I would pick up takeout for lunch - and he indicated he wasn't all that hungry. I changed my mind on the drive to the ramp and went to the seafood shop instead and just bought oysters and prawns. And rushed down to the boat ramp to meet MOTH and Rocky the wonderdog.

The harbour was lovely today and we went over to Facing Island. While looking for a suitable place to eat our picnic we followed the four wheel drive track signed to The Oaks. I managed to fall over in a shallow long puddle of mud. My camera was rescued and the mud felt wonderful.

Some of our walk included walking past peoples yards... and kangaroos were plentiful. They bounded off when they spotted Rocky - who has to be the worst hunter on earth. I think they would have to tap him on the shoulder for him to notice them. (You can click on the photo to make it larger)
We walked the one lane roads of mud, the rocky beach and the sandy beach to find our picnic spot.
And we chose a shady cave that had fresh roo prints - they too appreciate some shade and comfort!
The little cave was a perfect spot - but I guess if we wanted it again we would need to take advantage of the very low tide today.
The three of us enjoyed our little island jaunt - and then headed over to Rat Island to see what we could see. The water is amazing and clear - and little fish everywhere. Just non stop looking and being enthralled. Another thing... just like listening to the song "Amazing Grace" (or for me "My Immortal - Evanescence can do the same thing).. that can make me teary and get a lump in my throat. It has NOTHING to do with religion.. it's an appreciation of beauty.

(OK - that appears to have come from nowhere but... my friend Tom challenged me in an email that perhaps I was religious because the damn song makes me cry - because I do sometimes display a distaste for religion and also my beautiful, caring, amazing friend Hope indicated I was rude and dismissive of her beliefs.. and I probably should discuss these issues but in the selfish light of the glow of my holiday - couldn't do it now. For the latter I am truly sorry - I really always believed I was too smart/clever/compassionate to allow anyone to feel that. I DO value other peoples beliefs and respect them. I simply don't share them.)
The water gives me endless pleasure. The seabirds. The resourcefulness of the critters. MOTH's willingness to take me where I want to go and so tolerant of my refusal to go when he asks me too and then accept my demand to be taken out. The ability to waste an entire afternoon with barely any conversation.
So - the holiday is over. And I did nothing but stroll through the sales, giggle with friends, eat, watch the garden and the critters, play with dogs, lay on the beds with magazines and books (I didn't finish reading any of them) cook, attend the dentist, the optometrist and the hairdresser and be indulgent at all three, arrange photos of my daughters and have whimsical dreams about their futures.

And tomorrow I get to sing and dance with two year olds, receive and give cuddles and make lots of mess and noise. I am 40 years old in July. It is about time I regained the ambitious me..... It is just she is so hopelessly distant from me. I just think.. play with the kids all week - have to pick up Anna, Shawn and Jane on Saturday - and Sunday.... go play! I just spent most of my savings in ten days. Without any major purchases. Just services and repairs.

Yet I feel ridiculously happy. Guiltily so. Oh well - there are Tim-tams hidden in the fridge. I am off.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Esky picnic amongst the rocks on the beach?

Absolutely bloody fantastic! Good on you for seizing the moment and enjoying the peace and quiet together.

Play with those 2-year-olds... they'll keep you feeling young... until you get home and collapse in a heap! heh heh. No, but seriously... enjoy your Tim Tam Time, and the time you spend with those you care for. it's precious time. enjoy!

Thanks so much for sharing about your week!

Cyalayta
Mal :)