Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Good bugs


Well - maybe not so good for hibiscus. But hey! Hibiscus are tough plants. We call these Harequim beetles. I don't really know if that is the correct name. This is the first one I have found since we left Brisbane over 4 years ago. They also come in a magnificent peacock blue. If you could have your car, dress or hat in these colours you would. They dont seem to mind when you wear them for a few hours. I don't have a hibiscus in our yard so this one was lost. When I finished playing with it I took it two doors down to a neighbours yard who does have hibiscus. (Neighbours probably don't like me an awful lot? Nevermind)

I thoroughly enjoy finding these beetles.It is similar to feeding the ducks, eels and turtles or sitting and watching dolphins play. Doesn't take a terrible lot to keep me amused.

2 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

OMG!! My Sarah, my 5yr old wants you to send one of them there Lady Bugs down to us here. My kids adore Lady Bugs in the Summer and they cry when they fly away, does not take much to amuse them either..but I admit, I love them too :)

Melly` said...

Oh Sarah has to come here so I can show her one. Think lady beetle and enlarge twenty times. I like beetle looking... and neither Sarah or I would hurt one.