Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Preparing for Father's Day

This Sunday is Father's Day. So today I selected the presents for my youngest child William to present to his step father and father on the weekend. It is also my youngest daughter Janes birthday on Friday - but her father has got in first and she is spending the weekend with him. (I had hoped to deliver some magnificent cake creation to boarding school and delight her with her gifts there or at the beach - somehow I COMPLETELY forgot all about fathers day until I got an earful via said father.)
I let William wrap them as he saw fit. I probably should of known better. As you can see - spelling is not his strongpoint. I was tempted to stick an extra "R" & "T" in his sperm donor father's one..... and then remembered that would only antagonise.... and even if I do antagonise him with something witty and funny it takes him way too long to get over it... so best I dont. Oh yeah - trust me ole sperm donor has never had to brave three different shopping expeditions with the kids to find the "perfect" present for me.

Anyhoo - so the plan now is I drive to his dark and abysmal home* an hour and a bit away - all of us have to smile and be sweet and us females are expected to eat like ladies.........No sucking the chocolate off the licorice and putting it back on the plate in front of him.. no sireee... It can be funny - one of the girls swear or answer me back and he jumps right on them. The most shocked one is usually me. He will make the girls wash up - I better be careful with the planning of the cake incase he insists one of them vacuums too.

He will insist the gift recipient expresses the correct and proper thankfulness (Oh - too good - tomorrow I will wrap up some tea towels - that should be funny) and share any bounties like chocolates. Poor buggar - he has no idea why they avoid him.

Anna has bought him a garbage bin and some decent pillows (cause the house has none) and I will ring Jane tomorrow to find out what she wants me to get him.

I said William could stay the weekend - forgetting of course that soccer season is almost over and its.. not semi finals the one before that this Saturday. So Jane is stuck there for the weekend by herself. Anna has work and she got out of this weekend by saying she would take the weekend of his birthday off. It will just be the opening of the gifts, mutilation of the cake and the drive back home.

My Dad is owed a million letters and pictures and tomorrow I will delay the painting to put all that together and post it. Christian's Dad I will have to buy something and throw in the post too.

That sounds dreadfully flippant doesnt it? The fact is all the fathers in our life... yep sperm donor included have done a heck of a lot and have our eternal respect. It just seems kinda sad that we have to send them a crummy box of $10 chocolates and pay $12 to post it with a crummy card...And my oldest baby doesnt even have that option this year (her father died recently)and I wonder what she will do.

Righto - I better start sorting out what to send my Dad from two pc's and heaven knows how many bloody cds. He will love the blokes yard at Theodore with all the dead tractors. Sigh.

*This house is a gorgeous old Queenslander but as a single man he has simply outfitted it with the bare necessities and other than badly or unframed pictures of the kids no decorating at all.

1 comment:

MSU gal said...

Our Father's Day is in June, isn't that funny? I thought the day was the same everywhere. Great post. Thanks for your wonderful comments on my typewriter post. I wish I still had that quality doll, but mine eventually got sold in a yard sale.