Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I suspect I am being an imposter!

This morning - we all overslept. Anna woke me exactly 15 minutes before I had to be at work. There are positives about living in small cities. There are bad things about dressing in a hurry in a dark room. The shirt I had pulled on's colour had faded and looked like I was wearing a bib or a very large drool mark. Thankfully I was only there till 12.30.

I used my "I am awake" face (that I use when I am asleep) and it served me very well. Occasionally I nodded wisely too. I am very grateful that I will never have to use Autocad beyond making it into a pdf, printing, binding or emailing the sucker. Very very grateful. I am almost positive no one heard me snoring. I decided full on erotic daydreams was perfectly acceptable at the bit about using logarithms in Excel.

I kind of understand maths could excite some people. Twenty years ago when I was doing my HSC I battled logarithms. For the life of me I couldnt understand it until a nice tutor told me I was trying to measure the inside of a snail shell. Any other description from any other tutor, teacher or peer could not and would not let me do those bastards. Stuff about atomic mushrooms etc ring a bell but .. NOPE I understood NOTHING. All I wanted to do was pass Maths.

I knew right then when I finally understood WHAT I was trying to do... that there was absolutely no need EVER for me to have to retain that. Never since nor in the future am I going to want to do that. But if you want to do it - that is all fine and well - I will print the sucker out and dispense with it however you see fit. If you like I will add the company logo, page numbers and make a pretty border for you. I have an admiration for people who can do that shit - but no desire too ever do it myself. (Generally I always stamp on snails nowdays too.)

Yep - in hindsight it is a bloody wonder I passed my HSC at all.

I wonder if the engineers think I do understand? Surely NOT! Or worse - that they think when they catch me looking at the maps and graphs I can understand what they are doing with them - I am not I am just trying to find creeks, canals and sandbanks I havent explored yet. Maybe I should just stop doing that incase anyone clicks that I really haven't even the foggiest.

Nevermind - no one has ever complained about my documents, data entry or binding - YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: