Monday, August 28, 2006

Painting a RENTED house

About a month ago I rang our landlord/lady to ask if I could cut down two trees out the front to make for easier access to the yard with the two boats, three trailers and two car stuff. (I despise being parked in.. it is a terrible and stupid fear as I have no reason whatsoever to be so fussy about this.. but I really hate to find my car is parked in. I don't even like driving! It really isnt the most rational thing about me. But it really will upset me if I feel my car is parked in a way I cannot access it when I want? Actually I can completely not want nor be capable of driving and will still get upset if my car is parked in.)

Anyway - I got the him - not the her. And his answer to my request was "Mel - you CAN DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE" which, ya know in hindsight he is probably going to regret saying. Especially when I tell his wife the reason I did it was because he said I could. It was like the cartoon lightbulb as I placed the phone back into its hook. "Mel - you CAN DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE" It - well I just wish I could hear those words more than I do.

So I interpreted it rather broadly and decided to paint the interior of the house bright yellow. It has always pissed me off that the bad paint job and terrible patch up of the previous tenants holes seem to attract the attention of my guests and friends. (Oh - the hole in William's wall was Lancelot, Christian and William being boys and the hole in the built-in wardrobe was Jane being impatient with the door/her sister and the perfect iron burn mark in the carpet in Anna's room was - according to Anna - always there even if no one saw it for a year and it is the perfect fit for our iron.)

And it is looking really nice. But I forgot that painting is so slow and boring. I shake all the time (just the degree varies ..from very mild to absolutely out of control usually only if I have drunk too much or am completly nervous and agitated and havent eaten) and so I need to hold my painting arm to get the perfect line cut in. I am pretty fussy too.. if I am going to do a job it has to be perfect.

And it is painfully obvious I am not used to hard work. My whole body is in agony and the climbing and balancing is not as easy as I remembered it ten years ago. But it looks lovely and is bright and cheery.

Maybe, in hindsight bright, yellow wasnt a good idea. It seems to be attracting bugs. Wonderful. It is also terribly clean looking which makes the blue and red sofa's look very dirty. Alright, they are dirty. Britex time. After painting etc.

To me - it is also a conclusion. An admission that I am not just camping here and am living here. That is a good thing. Perpetually feeling like you are just camping isnt a good way to be. From grey with terrible mismatches to bright happy yellow of daisy style.

4 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

You freak me out laydee!!! I painted this dumb of an abode bright yellow inside before we moved in 3 yrs ago. I hated the patchy walls of green color and they said I could do it so I did!!! It needs another touch up but right now I am hoaning in on the bloody green carpet that gets soiled every weekend when I am not here...Grrrrr!!!!

Melly` said...

Lol - just today Anna said "It looks nice mum BUT the carpet now looks disgustingly old..." and I pondered... how much effort to throw it all to the tip and polish the floorboards! Like I have plenty of time. And the Cabots Clear floor stuff would be like $200 and instead five times a year I drag home the Britex machine and bust my ass shampooing the filth... Hahaa... And ya know what? I really doubt my landlord would even notice. Other houses they own have polished floors.

Mel - you can do whatever you like. MAN do I love that sentence!

LuSh said...

I want to do whatever I like!

Now... I want to sleep.. now.. that's what I'd like *sigh*

Whinge ended.

Anonymous said...

wonders if melly takes a long stroke or a short stroke when she's painting?? do tell???? :P and a PS don't ferget me Christmas picture ya might have promised me if the cheer is good lol winking @ u maybe a spare room fer rent too oh and a slow boat to Austraila or maybe a drop from plane without a shoot would be better lol