Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The first Tuesday in November

And my first ever Tuesday when I didnt bother to celebrate Melbourne Cup day! William, Anna and I went and fed the ducks at the duck ponds instead. Anna and I played tennis yesterday afternoon and today both of us are sore. We are unsure if it was from the exercise or from the laughing.

Work had a luncheon and they put the bigscreen tv outside in the carpark... and sweeps etc. A few asked me to stay but I just wanted to get home. Make sure the dogs were in the yard and the kids hadn't burnt down the house type thing. And why I would want to hang around at work .... when I am so enjoying this half day stuff?



Lucky for me today Rocky has been pretty tired. We started painting Anna's furniture on the weekend and will do walls etc soonish... and today both dogs found the brand new bedspread appealing. At least they were out of our way.
In this photo the dogs are both watching Anna grumble at me because somehow my... making mess and dragging stuff out of her room has made the commercial tv channels not work and she wanted to watch something... and the colour has gone. I have stuffed up our cable channel thing much worse - it shows Saturdays channels at 8.30 pm now... completely not intune with whatever I am watching. I should ring them and ask what I did. But... it seems to take me ages to figure out that Queer Eye isnt Rex's fishing adventures anyway? I think once I have finished the painting and decorating... the cable and wires and power point problems will be pretty horrendous.

She also quite rightfully pointed out I tend to start projects and never finish them. HOWEVER... there are reasons for that. I havent found the right tiles for the mosaic lizard yet; I havent found the right handles for the kitchen cupboard yet; I need to "find" more oddshaped concrete for the back pathway and the passionfruit simply isn't growing as fast as my imagination had envisaged to give the screen I promised her from the neighbours. She is probably right in that as I looked for the new handles.. in the op shop I ended up dragging more old furniture that cant fit in the house home anyway.

Anyway her room is going to be gorgeous! AND the dogs can tell.. they look very pleased with the bedspread choice. And I painted half the bed already. If you cant tell... my flowers are meant to be cherry blossoms. I didn't get to finish painting the yellow stamens BECAUSE she insisted I had to put the bed back together the same day MOTH and I had stripped the old paint, given it two coats of "sand" and painted the flowers on it. When I tried to take the bedhead out.. she told me I had to wait till the weekend or when she is at school. When she is at school I am at work most of the time. Midnight suits me better to do this stuff.




DOGS however do not mind if I want to use a heat gun or sander at midnight. Dogs think the bargain bedspread you buy is perfectly good. Dogs do not give a crap if you accidently mess up the wires to the television. You can yell at or even smack the dogs... and within SECONDS they will be asking you to cuddle them or play ball (my dogs only play indoor ball - they wont play ball outside). Dogs do not care if you make jokes about condoms on bedheads in front of their freinds. And dogs certainly do not care if the furniture is second hand.

There are many reasons to love dogs.

5 comments:

Big Mama said...

What a wonderful vision! I can just picture all this in my mind... ( couldn't view the pics?!?!) either way, it seems like you have adventures in whatever you do. I like that about you. Oh and yesterdays post was hysterical!

Cazzie!!! said...

I need to buy us a dog...right now today!!!

Anonymous said...

Youn sound like such a happy and satisfied person doing up your own furniture and having a good time with your family. I envy you.

Melly` said...

Big Mama is probably lucky that she couldnt view the pictures of my idiot dog stuck push-me-pull-you style with the beautiful husky at the pound. OH THE SHAME!

Cazzie - I should confess dogs make as much mess as small children, are capeable of the same kind of property destruction and make as many.. if not more.. bad smells. I swear next time I wont fall in love with any mutt and I will buy a proper small dog with a pedigree. I will not cry at 3 legged dogs and wish I could take them home (local law is strict about two dogs only). BUT - if you do bring a dog or two on the bus when it happens... I will walk them and play with them.

AF - what a nice comment. I would be happier if laundry was banned. And if dust was considered a fashion statement. And if the fashion moguls publically announced that dog hair is the new black. But - oh well.. best we make do with what we have hey!

Anonymous said...

Household Hint #1 - take those lovely(??) doilies that your great-grandmother used to crochet (or buy the paper ones from the dollar shop) place those on all your wooden furniture. DO NOT dust for 1 year. Remove carefully. Voila Mother Nature will have left you a perfect stencil in such a beautiful pattern that only a snowflake could duplicate. When you are bored with that pattern -repeat. As for animal fur, I tell all that it is humane to take your pet to work day. It is a perfect co-existance between our beloved pets and dust. Besides, if you live in a country that has snow and other such inclement weather one might even say that it is just an extra layer of warmth on a cold and blustery day.
hugsssssss from me and Oliver :-)