Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Crabbing - or the lack thereof?


Our first day on the water - we caught one blue swimmer crab. This created an anticipation of magnificent crabbing to be had! Such excitement and salivation.. I was planning my Christmas menu around them. However - in our haste to consume the unfortunate bugga... we rushed home to cook it! And yes it was delicious. Fresh crab is always best. But maybe he warned his mates or something.......

Thankfully I do have some Ingham Turkey Thigh Roasts in the freezer for backup/alternative. (Cheap, impossible to ruin and DELICIOUS)

Three days later and many hours out on the water - and not one sighting even. An undersize cod gave us a brief moment of excitement - before we realised what it was.


Christian is blaming the bait. I guess we have just been unlucky. Other fisherman seem a little coy about the amount they are catching. We did watch two lucky blokes haul in a large mud crab not 100 metres from where we fished and waited for crabs to enter our pots.

Because I whinge about the sun and the heat - under bridges is just the perfect place to fish sometimes. I took Anna's MP3 player thing yesterday - and strangely enough the "Harry Potter soundtrack" that I had curled my nose up at previously - was just lovely bobbing around on the boat waiting for the tugs. I will have to get myself one now.

Today I had to stay at home because someone has to do the washing, cleaning, pay the bills (I didn't get around to that) figure out the easiest way to figure my mothers digital camera and send it to her (yes - I am aware it will be late now no matter what), drive Jane to work etc etc (all the things that occupy my time that I never seem to get done or am always late at.)

William went instead, and proudly delivered me a 27 cm bream still swimming around in the bottom of the bucket. I am not usually fond of bream. I am also happier to be presented with fish already dead. Looking at them swimming and looking back at me has never stopped unnerving me. I hated fishing before I met Christian and I ... do have some hangups about it. I like the kindest quickest kill always and I am completely happy to "waste money" by letting a fish keep the hook if removal will hurt it. I will get pedantic and risk everyones safety insisting on climbing over the boat to find a tape measure to make sure and if I cannot identify a fish it has to go back in the water. I feel no remorse when we get home and it is proved to me it was a wonderful eating fish and perfectly legal.

However - he was so pleased to present it to me I felt obliged to eat it. I cooked the hungry hunters and girls (who spend their time on the internet, out with friends, throwing clothes on the floor and parading in front of mirrors - and giving me orders on where and when to taxi them..another story but a whingy one.. I was pleased to be able to confer with a girlfriend today that I am not alone in the "my girls treat me as a servant and show me no thanks".... buggar waffling again... back to story)

.... chicken breast fillet burgers and simply wrapped my fish in foil and threw it on the bbq. I decided to eat it with just soy sauce and wasabi... and it really was wonderful. So simple, so messy but so very wonderful. I wont knock the humble bream as much anymore.

Tomorrow we will have clocked the ten hours driving time with the boat motor so it goes in for a service.

Anna bought Christian (her stepfather) the new lights for his boat today. I had a wonderful time climbing over the very expensive boats. Of course it gnawed at me for a moment that we could have one if I simply worked full time like every other person in the world.... but my natural laziness has argued with that all afternoon. I have to think of the dogs... you know!

Jane enjoyed her first shift at work and looks forward to a birthday party on Friday. No one else I know would like to dress as a clown or fairy and host a party for kids. I know we have all done it... but to actually enjoy it?

My girlfriend M found me a wonderful long sleeved shirt to wear on the boat to avoid the sun and sand flies. Christian amused me (ways not suitable for blogs and) madly soldering and cursing the new lights.

Peasant living can be so very satisfying you know. I may get frustrated about the small stuff - the state of the floors, the sofas, the socks up the hallway and power tools on the coffee table. But all in all... we are surrounded by so many wonderful things.

But not instruction manuals. They completely "suck". Not in any fun way.

Waffling again.. best I be off...

Cheerio!

No comments: