Saturday, December 30, 2006

Saddam

WITHOUT wanting to join any arguements on who or what Saddam was... I was still astounded at the joy my friend announced his death (I cant figure out how to make the free tv channels come on - the kids are away and I just mess remote controls up)... My friend is a reluctant barmaid who doesnt like people much anyway... why the glee at his death? People are always good at shocking me... but something so remote from us/her and her pleasure at the EXECUTION of another human being. Watch the related video... and it seems to me.. rather... alarming.

The whole "weapons of mass destruction" and the execution before the trials had even finished...the figures of the deaths he caused versus the figures that amass daily in our war for freedom.... freedom against weapons of mass destruction... and .. err ok it just all seems so rediculous to me.

Hey - it is just me.

And hanging? We had to put down a puppy a few years ago .. and it was so so quick with the injection at the vets. It was still quite horrid... but so quick it.. became bearable for our memories?

I dont feel any joy at this execution. I was surprised my friend did. I felt nothing but sadness. I felt sorrow at the memories of when I was at Uni and we did debate and discuss such topics. I particularly remember watching footage of the United Nations talks and thinking.. no one is listening to this man... I felt a little pang of guilt that all I really give a hoot about is my kids, spouse, family, friends and dogs. Not necessarily in that order either.

I felt shocked she felt it such an occasion that we should celebrate. But I have NEVER knocked a reason to drink alcohol.

I think it is unlikely I would ever feel joy at any execution of a human. Maybe Martin Bryant excluded.. but he too could have the digntity of the injection we gave that little puppy.

I also made the mistake AGAIN of looking at Tim Blairs blog. Thank heavens I have never felt ... anywhere connected to these people.

No comments: