Monday, December 11, 2006

Jane's first "real" job



So – after a week of trudging though the stores in search of the suitable job interview clothes (and holiday lounging type stuff) SHE SEEMED PLEASED AS PUNCH TO DON THE UNIFORM. Another complete moment of mystification for me. All the positively gorgeous tops I showed her and she was HORRIFIED at my suggestions… and yet the uniform of the takeaway food giant thrilled her and she was trying it on before I had even put my handbag and keys away.

Best I keep my comments on the actual uniform to myself. Especially the fact it requires the horrible hot triangle thingy for flattening clothes. Arghhhhhhhh.



But – all very exciting for Jane!

This morning she was dressed for her interview without any prompting from me.

I have to take my car to the mechanic to find out the financial damage of the leaky radiator cooling thingo… but I need a “slow” day wherein I am not expected to be taxi, run errands or turn up to anything I am meant to. Wednesday is looking good.

In the meantime – I have to fill the radiator with water EVERY SINGLE TIME I DRIVE THE CAR ANYWHERE.

Anna informs me she wants a lift to the mall at 12.30. I tell her – I am taking Jane to Hungry Jacks™ at almost 10 am and she can hitch a ride. That isn’t good enough – she needs to be there at 12.30. I try to reason the car is not healthy and I don’t want to do any unnecessary trips. I ask her to check the water for me now – confident she has now seen me do it so many times that she could accomplish this minor task. Result – major argument. She did open the bonnet of the car but she didn’t check the water – and had I not double checked… car would be up the road somewhere and I would of spent the morning waiting for road service.

I made Anna come with me figuring she could at least keep me company as I tried to wait in the car. Anna and I sat in the car for.. oh five minutes maybe. I couldn’t help myself and said “We will just go in and share a burger and pretend we are just customers.” Anna responded with “I love you.. you are so hopeless.”

I think she meant that as a compliment.

So – trying not to peer and only making one gesture for Jane to sit up straight… Jane mouths to me… “I got it!” and the woman interviewing her returns to the bench seat with Jane’s uniform. Anna purchased the burger as I positioned myself as close as I could to listen. I doubt if anyone is ever going to employ me to go undercover anytime soon.

So – tonight she attended a staff training session on birthday parties and she starts her first shift next Tuesday. She has a booklet to read (I have already read it and told her most of it) the uniform to iron, the hat to wear and she is musing already on how she plans to spend her wages.

I had worried the fact she attends boarding school would be to her detriment in finding a job. But the manager told her that if she calls and lets them know when she comes home for weekends they would try include her in shifts.

Another daughter earning her own money, and another battering of adult life. She too has to learn how long an hour can take, what it pays for and the joy of being able to spend it exactly as she wants… NOW – because in years to come she will have to pay for her own living expenses.

I hope she buys cool stuff I can borrow too like Anna does. Payback for 14+ years of breaking, experimenting with, spilling, borrowing without asking etc etc may be a bitch. But I love it.

But – in running the girls where they needed to be in my broken car today, I amassed another 140 kms on the odometer. I accomplished about half of the things on my “to do” list. I stretched dinner for four into dinner for six. I argued with four people I love. It was necessary to have THREE heart to heart talks with my daughters.

Sara rang – she only ever rings when she is miserable…and I get the feeling she didn’t tell me all of it. She feels the pressure of her two casual jobs, her family commitments (son, aunts, recent deaths, her cousins, visiting expectations, lack of money) too overwhelming and just needed to vent a little. She is doing great really. If she stopped for a minute and thought about all the responsibilities that have been thrust on her...(or chosen whateva) it is bloody hard and why people can't just always be nice, and why no one can wipe their feet, change a loo paper roll, give thanks or credit when they are due ... and the ability of the odd person to accept our tantrums.

I interacted with a total of eight teens or pre teens. Some of this was pleasant some of it was decidedly not pleasant. I was very very pleased with William’s end of year school report. I didn’t even bother complain when William and his mates decided to play ball out the back at the risk of my new garden beds. I haven’t prepared anything for the luncheon tomorrow; my painting the trims is still no where near finished; decorating Anna’s room is at a standstill; my promise to socialize Dotti the wonderdog has not happened; the dogs haven’t even had a bath in the last week!; in short since finishing work on Friday – I have achieved buggar all.

I think if I hear one more person in my house say "But it is holidays!" I may snap. Throw another watermelon. That was a good one... shocked the buggars for weeks.

Tomorrow I must sit and feed the ducks.

No comments: