Thursday, December 21, 2006

Television Meme

Television meme - pinched from Elsewhere.

1. Earliest remembered television?

Playschool and Sesame Street. We were the last people to get a colour TV in our neighbourhood – but the very first to get a vcr. In my mind – Jemima, Big Ted, The Cookie Monster and others were completely different colours. I imagined them - hell these guys were my idols... and then! Cookie Monster was BLUE? Sheesh an adjustment and it took me a while to get used too. I also felt I related better to the colours from the Australian and UK TV shows and that there was something odd about the ones from the USA. I wonder if that was imagined? Or are the colours really different?

2. TV series you would want on a desert island

Would I want to watch TV on a desert island? Ok so it is a very dull island and the fishing absolutely stinks? And I am not enjoying no telephone, no errands, no money to think about, no washing to do and no need for a vaccum cleaner? There are no seed pods to examine or rocks to count all the colours I can see in them. The water is not making wonderful ripples and the sun is not playing with the colours on the water either. I still roar laughing at Absolutely Fabulous? Oh no – question is too hard. Can I have a book instead maybe?

Anna just said “Lost” so she could figure out how to survive. That would do maybe. Besides I fell asleep threw so many of those episodes and I do mean to try watch it again.

3. TV that made you laugh

Woops I already answered that! But – I am easy to amuse. I loved The Young Ones also. Faulty Towers and Allo Allo. There is probably something messed up with my brain that it is so easy to amuse me.

4. TV that made you cry

My second daughter and me are born criers. We cry at the NEWS. Tears wouldn’t stop for me as I watched the Cronulla riots and the miners freed…. Lassie ! Oh my goodness… House and Greys Anatomy … I cry at the documentaries on the Discovery Home and Health documentaries all the time. The plastic surgery that corrects a deformity, babies first steps, the fat person gets skinny! The makeovers!

5. TV crap that you enjoy

Will & Grace! We love it. How embarrassing!In the privacy of our home we mimic Karen too. Sad, but true. And we think ourselves terribly funny. And we like Gilmore Girls too. Until this year – I was an absolute Big Brother fan too. In the past I have even left a full trolley of groceries because I have looked at the time and decided if I didn’t leave now I wouldn’t make it home by 7pm. Tragic – but true. (Sorry to anyone who works in a supermarket!) But this year I was cured.

6. TV you'll never forget.

9/11 coverage of the World Trade Centre. I don’t think it is meant to be news stuff. Ok. Umm… Molly from A Country Practice dying. Man that was a lot of crying! And! Anna wasn’t even alive then! Imagining how she would of cried is pretty fantastic too!

I loved I, Claudius. And Nancy Astor.

7. Favourite TV adaptation.

I loved Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. And Day of the Triffids. But I was a teenager then. And I watched them with my Dad. There wasn’t a lot a teenager and my Dad had in common – so watching the tv together was our time.

7. Favourite nerdish program

(Elsewhere said DR WHO was nerdish. Damn and buggar I am a nerd through and through then. Maybe I have the wrong definition of nerd? Doesn’t everybody love Dr Who?) I watch heaps of shows on the How To channel. I think how they make Twisties and Peanut butter at the factories is absolutely fascinating. And Lifestyle Food channel too. Tragic I guess. I just adore Two Fat ladies .. still. You know their food will kill you – but man it looks and sounds so good! Wrap the already fatty meat in more fat.. cover with pastry and baste with fat…from the fattest ducks or pigs in the world… Cook it in butter – and then add more butter. Add more wine. It is just fantastic.

8. One TV program you are currently watching

For the past week all I have done is flick threw all the bloody channels – find nothing – or of course recognize I already watched that last week and give the remote to someone else. And then remember I have stuff to do.

The Worst Jobs in History. I don’t miss that one. And I recently really enjoyed Thank God you’re here!

9. One TV show/series you have been meaning to watch

Well – I will have to get hold of Six feet Under now I guess.

10. Now tag five people:

No – you can do it if you want too. Or remind me of all the fantastic tv shows I forgot to mention.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I laughed a lot reading this.

Agree that day of the triffids was a good adaptation -- better than the book, really.