Monday, December 18, 2006

Holidays - and the crabbing & fishing begins

Christian finally got his new boat motor. It is a Tohatsu 18HP and he is a contented man.

He built me a bird feeder a month or so back - and we have had many lovely late afternoons watching the finches and sipping a wine cooler admiring the little birds. He was rather miffed with them when they pooped on the brand new motor. The motor now gets a cover every night. Similar to tucking in the children I guess.

The milk bottle in the creek is attached to a rope attached to a crab pot. According with fishing regulations the pot and float have our name and address on them. Today our bait was chicken necks - however our reward was only one male blue swimmer crab. It is illegal to take the female ones.

We will be back out at sparrowfart tomorrow morning. His holidays have begun.

The odd thing is I was whinging to my friends about these holidays. I whinged about hours on the boat, and the complete changes his holidays give to my routine. And yet - after a late start this morning (I promised to get up at 5.30 but refused to budge till 7 am)- I LOVE meandering around the estuarys in a tiny tin boat. Always something wonderful too look at.


Watching dolphins play is always a plus. My camera is three years old now - a Fujifilm A330. And it has been a terrific little camera. We really have had a wonderful run with it. But - our next purchase will be a better one. (Or really I should find the manual and learn how to do the video with it? My daughters know how to do it but I don't know how.)


The amazing trees on the eroded banks, the cactus in flower, the wallabies sleeping in the grasses, the sea eagles making their catches, the splashes of the big fish; small fish and best of all the sting rays make the hours feel like minutes.


We had said we were only going out for two or three hours. Neither of us took a watch and I forgot my cell phone so we had no way to tell the time. We stayed out over five hours.


This bank made me think of chocolate? I think if you double click on the photos they will display larger.

I want to get to bed early now! We may be financially challenged these holidays but... judging from first day - we are going to have a terrible lot of fun.

No comments: