Friday, January 05, 2007

Weekend anticipations


Nah - Rox I am not moving from Blogger - here I stay. Blogger simply had an update thingo - and I was reluctant to switch because normally changes mean... headaches etc.


I am perfectly capeable of giving myself headaches and confusions ... and it took me a while to make the "switch" - nothing abnormal I am always the most reluctant to change ...
The weather here for the past three weeks has been WINDY - which means that our boating activities are limited to within the estuaries and creeks. Of course - that is all lovely too... it is just I had hoped to do some island sightseeing.....
Another plus of windy is that the weather has been so much cooler than in the past. We really havent had a madly hot day wherein we could go out to Lake Awoonga and have a family day swimming and playing.
Jane and I walked around Spinnaker Park with Dotti this afternoon - and I felt disappointed at the white topped waves and wind attacking Jane's skirt.... I want a dead still day so that the harbour drive will be pleasant out to the islands.
Doesn't look like it is going to happen - so crabbing it will have to be. The talk of the town lately has been the complete lack of suitable crabs... So - bloody good thing I like just bobbing around on the boat sightseeing.
Last night K & M and all the kids came around for a "seafood cooking night". This translates to ... we all drink way too many bubbles; make a ferocious amount of mess and noise; and we eat (or waste/drop/burn/etc) enough expensive food... that we should feel really guilty ... but we don't.
M found a recipe for black mussels that looked (and tasted) just wonderful - but I didn't buy them. Normally around $4 a kilo they were $13 a kilo... so I bought prawns, fish and smoked salmon. But K was not feeling as miserly as I was.. and did buy them! It was beautiful - but anyone who doesnt like ginger hated it. Indeed she was feeling wealthy enough to buy scallops...
M also found a recipe on how to completely make calamari taste disgusting. Calamari is so easy to make taste nice - but chinese five spice and calamari is just WRONG people.
I should of taken photographs. But indeed when the first bottle of bubbles is popped at 4 pm - and K arrived in a taxi - a pretty good indication the night was headed for rediculous intoxication....
I had over celebrated by only 8 pm... and being such a terrible host.. I crept off to bed.
Anna (my angel) magically had "fixed" most of the mess by the time morning came.
Right - so this weekend I chase the elusive crabs again in the creeks and rivers. The wind will mean less sandflies in the mangroves. Batteries charged and camera ready!


2 comments:

Cazzie!!! said...

You are my new best friend..fish, mussels, smoked salmon calamari...well, someone is gunna have to pay for repairs to my new keyboard here as I just drooled all over it, LOL.
Do take pics of the crabbing ok.

Melly` said...

I knew from the first moment I read your blog you & yours would fit in perfectly with mine! Without even determining if you like seafood! I can cook for non seafood likers too!

I love trying to sneak vegetables and things kids think they dont like to eat into them too... and am excellent at it.

AND - I have two girlfriends who claim to HATE mangoes... and I remember not to try feed them it. (More for Me!)

Alas - sometimes it is necessary for us to catch our own! (being peasants and all) However ... sometimes that is just as much fun too.