Sunday, June 18, 2006

The pain of last week fades... slowly...


Friday Will had a soccer carnival at Benaraby Primary School.In the back of my mind always was the blue card submission rubbish. Anna came with us, and two other of Will's mates. Benaraby primary school is utterly charming in its beautiful rural setting. Tiny mis-shapen football fields and rickety equally tiny goal posts - and 6 player teams playing 6 games for the days competition.The Mum's from Benaraby primary school put on a wonderful feast in the canteen - meat and salad sandwiches a couple of inches thick for only $2.50 and a piece of cake for 50 cents. Last time we went there - on the oval were grazing roos. This time we were a little late and didn't see them. We did however see this wonderful critter. (Look closely... its a bearded dragon.) I THINK if you click on the pictures you can see them bigger.

Anyways - we found the critter because I saw two girls from a local private school attacking the thing with sticks.(Yeah number 13 and 9) I thought.. what are those kids pelting sticks at..walked closer... saw.... and - yep out came mean Mel and I yelled at them to bugga off etc............ Anna rushed to me and said... "no mum... think of the blue card you can't go around yelling at children today OF ALL DAYS!" Now? Isn't that just rediculous BUT TRUE! I guess nowdays in times gone mad it isn't appropriate for me to yell at strange children for hitting a defenceless creature with sticks. Definately going to have to be another thing I have to work at. (Don't yell at policemen who keep walking in on your naked child and do not yell at children harming animals) It just really strikes me as ..... odd.

I called the kids down from William's class and showed them. The kids were lovely and enjoyed it as much as I did. I told them of the mean girls with the sticks - and for me they acted horrified and displayed what they would do to such mean people - which also involved acts of violence and cruelty. Sigh.

Then my gf rang and said she couldn't print my reference (she can be computer "challenged") - and I organised with another Mum for a ride of my charges home with her.... lucky for me she had been unable to be there for the start and had a completely empty car. I was willing to do the 60 k round trip back - but thankfully another wonderful mother was able to step in.(The world is so full of wonderful mothers!)

Then - after printing, taking a few pictures I had promised her daughter in China! (How exciting is that!) and chatting - off home and then to fax all the horrid bits of paper for the blue card. Naturally I left the camera at gfs. Sigh.

I had to order William to bed rest because he volunteers to play for the under 13's soccer team - the age group above him on a Friday night and he was knackered. Of course he argued with me the entire way to the bedroom. All up in the last week William has played 13 games of football - not including any training.

Anna (with her newfound wealth from her first job) decided to be a treasure and shout take out for dinner. I so appreciated that. (And then I had a minor pc drama that appears to have been a storm in a tea cup - however the wine I consumed helped it become... cyclone similar)

Right so I missed the first half of Williams soccer game with the big boys... on a real sized field... but walked over for the second half with our dog Dotti. (William amongst his own peers is tiny... amongst these blokes its almost terrifying) I tried to sit somewhere and be unnoticed - firstly I didnt feel like company and secondly I wasnt sure you are meant to have dogs there. Sadly Dotti didnt feel like being unnoticed and I spent the next forty minutes madly trying to contol her - she wanted to join the chase for the ball. I dont have to join a gym. I just have to take my dog out more. We were not unnoticed. In between Dotti trying madly to get onto the field she insisted on sitting on the bench next to me and licking my face. Next dog is so never allowed to sit on my lap. Or on chairs. Or at the table. Or in my bed.

Gf rang with yet another pc drama that I talked her threw while watching the game and manhandling the dog. Somedays - just what I do to get threw an evening is amazing. William and I walked home in the cold as he excitedly told me all I had missed in the first half. He fell asleep on the sofa. I threw a blanket over him and left him there. I ran every virus -spyware- adaware programme i could think of... caught up on my reading... (saw that pissed and distraught the night before i had typed utter rubbish on someones blog) chatted to some friends and finally had a little cry... and went to bed. Went to bed KNOWING I could sleep in - because the first soccer game of Saturday wasnt till 11.10 am.

The phone rang at 7am. Go and get daughter no 3 (Jane) from the train station. It is daughter no 2 (Anna) telling me this. I barked at her "you told me Jane said she was going to her fathers!". We have since worked out Jane texted to my phone... that she was going "home" Saturday morning via the train. Anna decided that Jane's home isn't here. Sigh. Too think I always wanted a sister.

Go to the train station to get Jane. There, a small black and tan bitch is tied up to a fence..... and a man is near. I asked if she was his dog. He says no... he just rang the pound as it was running around the station with the lead on. As a dog owner I know ok - it is just a fine for having your dog running around. I also know if your dogs do cop a fine it will be on the worst possible week, and the owner will probably have to beg and borrow to get their dog out. But this dog has no tags. And she is a real cutey. So while William cuddles the dog... I run up and down the street asking anyone if they know where the dog came from. The train comes down and I beckon Jane madly because I have found someone who thinks they know where the dog lives. We deliver the dog to the house....and felt somewhat despondent because the owner didnt seem at all pleased the dog had returned. By now I am almost late for soccer.

Off to soccer and a woman who works for a local care agency sits next to me. Small talk starts and within minutes I am getting annoyed with her. She asks me if there are any other soccer ovals in town and I start naming the ones I know. She asks where is a particular one.. and i say it is behind the retirement village. She says Gladstone doesnt have a retirement village. I assure her Gladstone does. She argues it a bit more. Luckily I remember.. dont argue with idiots..and I just let her talk. I realise soon she gets paid more than me - gets more hours and has the luxury of choice on where she lives. And she doesnt seem to have the need to watch every precious second of every game of the kids. It REALLY could be just me.

Saturday afternoon and Jane and I just catch up on what has been happening with her at boarding school.

And a small incident where I HID from a "friend" .... the third person I asked for a reference and who refused.... and I opted just to........ HIDE? Like a complete coward ... rather than deal with it. She caught me today before I was able to hide. I was cooking Jane lunch. I did think of out the back door and over the fence. But I had my "couch potato" pjs on still (that she bought me from st vinnies)

Maybe that is good. Maybe I am getting over the pain of her refusal to help me. I know she suffers her own pains and her own worries. Today she actually said these words "I must be such a bad person" and I ... managed to not say anything dreadful.

My misery wont end till after tomorrow and the funeral is over. But I asked Christian to take my friend from the senior citz computer classes out ... and they went out this afternoon. Look at what my friend caught. He was so happy with himself. I was wildly jealous.

So Jane is home from school - and William is still soccer mad. And Anna is doing her own thing and always wonderful. I am still hurting but I am healing.Poor Christian just suffers us. And the dogs dont give a damn..so long as they have a sofa or a bed.

All is good.

No comments: