Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Saved by the Britex?

My two youngest daughters and I went to lunch today at the Yaralla Chinese Restaurant. At first I felt rather... squirmish? in my decision last night to allow Anna's boyfriend to sleep the night rather than walk the streets at night. I do get the "But EVERYONE walks around late at night, Mum" argument. I understand I am being unreasonable and that neither has really done anything to breach my trust in them. They just don't get that it isn't them I have the fear of a breach of trust in?

I tried again to bring up the topic of "SEX" and ....

Anna said.. "Mum - I am not having sex..... when I decide I want to I will tell you"

Me - "Well you don't have to it is after all a private thing.... but is there anything you want to ask me? You can ask me anything you know?"

Anna - "Mum don't you dare start with sex stories now? It is not that big a deal Mum - just dont worry about it... I am going to be fine. I will not get pregnant and I will not have unsafe sex."

Me - "Are you SURE you haven't any questions you want to ask me? I just want you to be safe and happy.."

Jane - "I have questions!"

Anna and me - "No you don't you are too young... shush"

Me - THINKING ... AHHH CRAP NOT HER TOO!

Me - "Well - how did you find sleeping next to Robert? With no sex?"

Anna - "Mum we just slept next to each other! It was all fine .. stop stressing!"

Me - "Well was it like sleeping with the dogs maybe? Nice and cosy - someone to cuddle?"

Anna - "Mum Robert is not a dog. He doesnt have fleas and he stayed on his side all night"

Me - "My dogs don't have fleas.. well often!"

Anna - "I am sooooooooo going to tell Robert you said he has fleas?"

Jane - "Did he kick?"

Me - "Does he fart?"

Anna and Jane - "Mummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"

I was just curious.

Anyhoo? I think she got the shits with me trying to open this conversation that I dont really want either. She was such an adorable toddler. Long red hair and porcelain skin and such a sense of what was right and wrong.

So she suggested we go and hire the britex and clean the carpets and the sofas. Our dogs are horrendous.... they dont like water. Recently it rained. And the dogs decided not to utilise outside toilet conveniences and to instead crap in front of the front door or in Williams bedroom. They aren't little dogs. Rather than have wet paws for a short time.. they are quite happy to........ get in trouble for a minute.... Even when you smack or scold them... three minutes later the dogs are on our laps saying .... we love you.. and have completely forgotten why you were mad before.

It was a diplomatic and clever move. The Britex machine is so noisy no further conversation was possible all afternoon. And Anna Jane and I huffed and puffed and ran the machine until late evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

>Me - "Well was it like sleeping with the dogs maybe? <

I laughed out loud at this.