Monday, May 21, 2007

The birds of Awoonga

I think I have to start with the kookaburra's. They have no shame when you have a BBQ - and beg just as a dog does. They "kill" the meat you throw them by slapping it sharply with their beaks. Of course the pelicans merit mention also. I notice pelicans (although similar) are very different over the world. The pelicans around Brisbane/Tweed heads have pretty pastel colours around their eyes. Joy is going to try get me pictures of that... I do have some somewhere. On the tv - shows with pelicans from other countries look different again. Of course I have no real knowledge of bird species what so ever.. and could be wrong.

And of course Storm Boy is one of my all time favourite books and movie.

Awoonga has an abundant bird population always willing to put on a show for the visitors. The cormorants (Joy calls them Shags - and I had never heard them called that) and the ducks.
Click on any photo to see it larger.
The high rise apartments where the clever birds have found the most appealing views.
And the cheeky birds that visit your BBQ/picnic area to see what you have to offer.

No comments: