Monday, May 21, 2007

Our garden

The first dozen lettuces have all been harvested now. In future I will replant a little sooner! It will be a few weeks before we have more lettuce now. We erected a frame (old tent frames) over the garden and irrigation hose and sprinklers tied to the top.. and whilst Joy was visiting she found us a mosquito net that we will use for pest control. So far we have had minimal pest damage.
The finches are happy with the new arrangement. I have seen Galahs, lorikeets and the occasional cockatoo feeding from the back yard feeder. But the finches seem to have the front yard feeder all to there selves. Doesn't stop them from visiting the back yard one though - they just do it.... with lots of support from their buddies? I mentioned Joy bought me a kaffir lime tree - and we cut a damaged water tank in half to plant it. Underneath I have planted corriander, lettuce and some parsley. In the planter stand underneath the banana's I have more pak choi and lettuce coming up. Yes, occasionally the dogs have accidents near the pots. They look suitably sorry when they knock it over. MOTH put tent pegs into the ground on the stand to minimise such accidents.



It has become contagious. The more we plant the more we want. The pak choi has been wonderful in soups and stir frys. It grows so quickly too.

6 comments:

GaBrie||A said...

Oh how lovely, even for "winter" you have so much!!! Yes, pak choi and bok choi are absolutely superb in soups and stirfrys. I miss the horny lorikeets and my Canuk and your flowers the size of my head! Ok, I miss your wonderful wine too :-( .... blah ok ok I also miss all of you guys. Another miracle is in order please. Hugs always

Melly` said...

The miracle will occur and I will endeavour to get you pictures of Canuk next weekend if he is not hiding too much!

We love you and Joy and I poured a glass of red wine for you in honour of you ....

Melly` said...

Fook - forgot - waiting on camera to get fixe... wont be long!

SzélsőFa said...

The way you provide for water seems interesting. I gather it serves as a frame for nests against pests at the same time, right?
Is that you on the last pic?

Melly` said...

SzélsőFa - poor MOTH! (That acronym stands for Man of the house) and that photo is him.

The frame will soon have a net over it to deter pests.

SzélsőFa said...

convey my apologies to Man of the House, but wait, wasn't that a compliment instead?