Monday, May 28, 2007

Crabbing stories.

My Sunday was spent dealing with the aftermath of the party. Hundreds of water balloons, a couple of dozen streamer poppers, plates, cups and a house that resembled what I would imagine a war zone or cyclone aftermath. The last of the children didn't leave our house until 5 pm Sunday afternoon. MOTH, however, went fishing and crabbing with a nice neighbour up the road. And came home with a bounty of two swimmer crabs, one mud crab, one blue salmon and two whiting.

He was very excited about the new places he was shown - reported heaps of jennys being caught (it is illegal to keep jennys in Queensland)and his excitement can be catchy.
It is Monday and I am already wishing it was weekend. I know what we are doing this weekend! Heading for the Narrows to seek more crabs.

Neighbour also suggested we all go camping June long weekend at another one of his special fishing spots. Sounds good to me!

I have today off - and back to work tomorrow... roll on weekday. I have events and adventures to plan.

5 comments:

Just Me said...

What date in June is that please? lol *sigh*

I've got two crab pots, come do some crabbing here, you can keep the Jennys legally here !

Cazzie!!! said...

Yumm, I wanna go crabbing too ..pleeeassseee!!

SzélsőFa said...

aren't these hurt or bite when you catch them? for a northener with no seashore in her country these crabs look like some creature popped right out of a fairytale...and they are your everyday reality...
isn't that amazing?

Melly` said...

With a mud crab especially you can loose a finger or a toe... and no one wants to get bitten by one.They cant reach their claws to their behind though.. so you learn how to grab them and tie them up so you can safely move them. They can also throw a claw off when threatened.. so you certainly have to be wary of them.

But the eating - well J and Cazzie know how fantastic that is! Sweet white meat.

When cooked they change colour to orange.. and you crack open the shells... I will get you photos as soon as I have solved our camera dilemna!

SzélsőFa said...

Oh, yes, I'd love to see how you, the experts are catching, using, cooking, eating them. Please - whenever you have time and machinery :)