Saturday, May 20, 2006

Yabbies and fishing


These are the yabbies we use as bait for fishing here. (Look at Christian's hands! Lol) Anyways, at low tide you go to the yabby banks and pump the sand out... squirt it out and pick up the critters. I am not very good at this part of it. They have a claw and they bite. I squeal and ... am generally not taken unless there is absolutely not one other soul on earth willing to help. I am not even good at just holding the torch still. (Idiot people that put those stupid crocodile warning signs at the boat ramps!)Christian likes my company for fishing - but not for catching bait. I whinge it's cold and I whinge it is dark. But generally, catch these on the Friday after work (tide complying - you can only get them at low tide)and you have live bait for the weekend that isn't stinky - but on the downside can bite you.

When you see holes like this you know you can pump for yabbies. We sometimes remember to aerate the water when we are at home - but mostly we just make sure the water is changed a few times a day. The beach is a short walk and a shorter drive away and there is plenty of water!

So today we went fishing at Wild Cattle creek. We only caught tiddlers. But - floating along the creek is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

I will bait my own hook with anything dead... but not live yabbies. The cut they make is similar to a paper cut. It doesn't seem to bother Christian at all - but I simply will not touch them.

At the mouth of the creek we admired the surf kites.So - basically we just had a lovely afternoon on the water admiring the scenery!

No comments: